I think I am a lucky guy. I live a good life. But if luck is a fiction, like a deity is, I am not lucky or blessed or even honored to live this life.

So what term defines my life (at least at this moment) in a way that does not refer to the supernatural?

Tags: blessed, blessing, fortunate, fortune, luck

Views: 333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've always understood the term luck to indicate nothing more than having a desirable outcome despite the odds. In other words, flipping a coin and having it land heads three times in a row is an example of luck (assuming you were hoping for 3 heads). There's nothing supernatural about it, it's just that you by chance happened to get the positive result instead of a negative one.

I think you're safe sticking with luck. I think you only need to avoid referring to things like providence, saying that you are blessed, or getting caught up in any form of "law of attraction" nonsense.

Comes down to definitions. I'd say I was lucky to be born in a time and place where I had decent opportunities ahead of me and didn't have to struggle to survive. By saying 'lucky', I am only recognizing circumstances which benefited me, yet arose through no actions or merit of my own. I am not suggesting that there is some active force creating fortunate outcomes for me.

Chance has no memory, but after a series of random events we'll have a curve on which the outcomes are distributed.  We'd describe someone at the far end of the curve as lucky.  I don't think we should ascribe magic powers to people who have had events in the past turn out in their favor.  If I rolled lots of 20s last game, I submit that I am no more likely to roll 20 the next toss (given fair dice).

Now that I am thinking about fair dice, in terms of the human condition, I don't believe people are born with the same set.  I think a lot of what we're referring to as a person's luck may be better described as a person's privilege.  It can come in the form of wealth, parenting, intelligence, beauty, athleticism, artistic talent or whatever.  Privileged people are more likely to have what could be considered a lucky life.  Outcomes more frequently fall in their favor, given equal effort.

Are you trying to get an "Intro to Philosophy?"

Let's start with - "existence"

The feeling is a result of outcome vs expectation. Dopamine, and other neuro-elements at play. It's sometimes pretty powerful, so it makes some people think the feeling's attached to something bigger than themselves, whatever that might be.

Tough to fit that on a bumper sticker, though. :)

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Kairan Nierde 6 minutes ago. 15 Replies

An awakening.....radical acceptance.....

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Belle Rose 19 minutes ago. 1 Reply

East German Shame

Started by Davis Goodman in Law, Trials, and Decisions. Last reply by Davis Goodman 1 hour ago. 14 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 1 hour ago. 26 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service