An army is a blunt weapon. Send it into a populated area where the enemy doesn't wear a uniform and innocents are going to die. This is happening right now in Gaza. Many people are quick to blame Israel for these deaths, calling them "unnecessary" or even "war crimes."

Lately, Israel has had to endure unguided missiles raining down on its territory. Since they are unguided, the people launching them, Hamas soldiers, aren't conducting surgical strikes. In fact, it appears they  would be happy if they hit schools, hospitals, markets, and other heavily-populated targets.

So, imagine you are Israel. Do you have another way of attempting to put a stop to the daily barrage of missiles?

This is not an invitation to criticize the creation of Israel after WW2. It's not an invitation to criticize policies you think led up to Hamas.

I'm only asking what's the alternative to sending in its troops to attempt to drive Hamas out of Gaza?

Views: 2441

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your analogy doesn't stand either. If you were occupying your neighbours front and back lawn and at times annexing the garage of his house ... and destroying his olive tress and garden and you built your own structures on the land and then built a concrete fence wherever you pleased to divide your properties and at times cutting off any access from the outside world to his house ... then the analogy might stand. In that case ... wouldn't it be the most shockingest of surprises when he lobs a grenade at random at your house.

But then yeah...really all you want to do is live in peace with the guy and you just can't understand why they are so radically pissed off and wish nothing more than your destruction.

@Davis:

So ignore analogies.

What was the catalyst that expanded Israel's borders from their original locations?

Did the Jews from the Nazi Concentration Camps invade Palestine after WWII or did some other authority setup those borders?  Who moved across those borders first?

Regardless of opinions on whether or not the State of Israel should have been setup it was and the Israels have been defending themselves every since.

When I put myself in their shoes I'm empathic toward their position.

Both sides are held hostage to a minority of extremist forces. The Israeli's have their group of insane settlers who would blow up 10 square kilometres of Palestinian land (themselves included) rather than dismantle their illegal settlements. The most extreme Israeli parties have absolutely zero interest in reconciling any problems with the Palestinian occupied territories and are content with a dysfunctional and deadly status quo.

The Palestinians are held hostage by a minority of monstrous fundamentalist terrorists who want to wipe Israel off the face of the planet and use civilians as fodder pawns in their deranged politics.

The majority of people on both sides tacitly endorse this macabre situation while claiming they are the white knights facing an unstoppable evil enemy.

I have zero patience for anyone who claims Israel is simply protecting itself and wants to live in peace. I roll my eyes when people claim that Palestinians are helpless victims whose extremist factions are simply misunderstood and aren't as bad as they seem.

No analogy we could ever come up with could give justice to this fucked-up dysfunctional set of neighbours.

Maybe a Comet will come and reset the entire Middle-East, or a plague, short of that I think this will be an unending conflict.

Or we could move on and discuss and worry about other (far more deadly and far more concerning ) conflicts.

Maybe you could have "far more concern" for all the people being killed and subjugated by ISIS, for example. So many of the people who apparently lose sleep over Palestine are strangely silent over the threat of ISIS.

Because no Jews are involved?

Gregg,

I agree that this will be an unending conflict. The Zionists claim ownership by divine right of all the lands between the Nile and Euphrates. If you look at a map you'll see that is pretty much all of the middle east.

@Gary:

After spending the last 5 hours researching the history of this area from the mid-1800's on, I can say that that I see no good guys in this conflict.

It is a major cluster-fuck and has been for a very long time.

I don't think either side can forgive the other side for past atrocities, and with all the meddling from outside players all I see is an unending war.

I wish they would all just sit down, share a few bananas and tea and build a future instead of wallowing in the past.

Actually combatant for one combatant would be proportional.

However, there are several other factors to consider.

First, according to CIA estimates, there are only about 15000 Hamas members among the 1.8 million Gazans.

Second, the Al-Qassam brigades do not take their orders from Hamas, but act independently. This was related in the 2008 Journeyman Pictures documentary "On the Frontline with the Gaza Rocket men" by a brigade leader.

Third, the only  way the Dahiya Doctrine can bring peace is through extermination of the Palestinians in Gaza and the West bank. Using Unseen's bar fight example, if I sucker punched one of your drinking buddies because he didn't stop you from punching me, I should not expect him to take my side against you.

Now, to address the question at hand.What should Israel do?

First, they should stop targeting civilians.

Second, they should treat terrorist actions as crimes and not as acts of war/

Third, they should lift the naval blockade from the Gaza coastline and allow humanitarian aid into Gaza

General: "Find me some civilians we can target" No, I don't think so. They target military installations where Hamas puts them.

What? And file a police report? Where, in Hamas?

Third, they should lift the naval blockade from the Gaza coastline and allow humanitarian aid into Gaza

All too often, ships carrying "aid" are also carrying weapons and supplies for building weapons.

"Now, to address the question at hand.What should Israel do?

Third, they should lift the naval blockade from the Gaza coastline and allow humanitarian aid into Gaza"

First, wouldn't they have to start targeting civilians first?

Second, how will changing labels help?

Third, how will that reduce the number of missiles fired into Israel?

Well, Gregg, it appears that you and Unseen are two people really firm in your beliefs to the point of denial of any evidence to the contrary

I don't do this to convince you guys.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service