An army is a blunt weapon. Send it into a populated area where the enemy doesn't wear a uniform and innocents are going to die. This is happening right now in Gaza. Many people are quick to blame Israel for these deaths, calling them "unnecessary" or even "war crimes."

Lately, Israel has had to endure unguided missiles raining down on its territory. Since they are unguided, the people launching them, Hamas soldiers, aren't conducting surgical strikes. In fact, it appears they  would be happy if they hit schools, hospitals, markets, and other heavily-populated targets.

So, imagine you are Israel. Do you have another way of attempting to put a stop to the daily barrage of missiles?

This is not an invitation to criticize the creation of Israel after WW2. It's not an invitation to criticize policies you think led up to Hamas.

I'm only asking what's the alternative to sending in its troops to attempt to cleanse Hamas out of Gaza?

Tags: Gaza, Hamas, Israel

Views: 1817

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe you could have "far more concern" for all the people being killed and subjugated by ISIS, for example. So many of the people who apparently lose sleep over Palestine are strangely silent over the threat of ISIS.

Because no Jews are involved?

Gregg,

I agree that this will be an unending conflict. The Zionists claim ownership by divine right of all the lands between the Nile and Euphrates. If you look at a map you'll see that is pretty much all of the middle east.

@Gary:

After spending the last 5 hours researching the history of this area from the mid-1800's on, I can say that that I see no good guys in this conflict.

It is a major cluster-fuck and has been for a very long time.

I don't think either side can forgive the other side for past atrocities, and with all the meddling from outside players all I see is an unending war.

I wish they would all just sit down, share a few bananas and tea and build a future instead of wallowing in the past.

Actually combatant for one combatant would be proportional.

However, there are several other factors to consider.

First, according to CIA estimates, there are only about 15000 Hamas members among the 1.8 million Gazans.

Second, the Al-Qassam brigades do not take their orders from Hamas, but act independently. This was related in the 2008 Journeyman Pictures documentary "On the Frontline with the Gaza Rocket men" by a brigade leader.

Third, the only  way the Dahiya Doctrine can bring peace is through extermination of the Palestinians in Gaza and the West bank. Using Unseen's bar fight example, if I sucker punched one of your drinking buddies because he didn't stop you from punching me, I should not expect him to take my side against you.

Now, to address the question at hand.What should Israel do?

First, they should stop targeting civilians.

Second, they should treat terrorist actions as crimes and not as acts of war/

Third, they should lift the naval blockade from the Gaza coastline and allow humanitarian aid into Gaza

General: "Find me some civilians we can target" No, I don't think so. They target military installations where Hamas puts them.

What? And file a police report? Where, in Hamas?

Third, they should lift the naval blockade from the Gaza coastline and allow humanitarian aid into Gaza

All too often, ships carrying "aid" are also carrying weapons and supplies for building weapons.

"Now, to address the question at hand.What should Israel do?

Third, they should lift the naval blockade from the Gaza coastline and allow humanitarian aid into Gaza"

First, wouldn't they have to start targeting civilians first?

Second, how will changing labels help?

Third, how will that reduce the number of missiles fired into Israel?

Well, Gregg, it appears that you and Unseen are two people really firm in your beliefs to the point of denial of any evidence to the contrary

I don't do this to convince you guys.

We don't know for sure that the Dahiya doctrine is actual policy or just something one general said, even if it may seem by appearances that it is.

Had the dog owner confronted his neighbor with a shotgun, matters would have gotten much worse.

How? If he shot him dead, there'd be no more stupid and ill-conceived attempts to kill dogs that might also kill children. If the neighbor is sent to prison, presumably some day he'll be out again and may be even madder for the experience.

@Erock68la -

So in this bar fight would you grab a bottle of Jack by the neck and repeatedly bash the guy in the temple until his pupil dilates? Why not? It's a bar fight.
Would you break a beer bottle and stab his girlfriend in the neck with it? Why not? It's a bar fight.
Maybe there are SOME rules.
If not, maybe you guys have seen Road House too many times.

Doing less than whatever it takes to win a potentially fatal fight is irrational in my world. What world do you live in?

I think Erock should stay away from any Bars or get measured for a chalk outline.

I think both sides should simply throw bananas at each other.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Davis Goodman 2 minutes ago. 62 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 7 hours ago. 20 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 7 hours ago. 28 Replies

6 YEARS!

Started by Dan in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 12 hours ago. 6 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 12 hours ago. 12 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service