An army is a blunt weapon. Send it into a populated area where the enemy doesn't wear a uniform and innocents are going to die. This is happening right now in Gaza. Many people are quick to blame Israel for these deaths, calling them "unnecessary" or even "war crimes."

Lately, Israel has had to endure unguided missiles raining down on its territory. Since they are unguided, the people launching them, Hamas soldiers, aren't conducting surgical strikes. In fact, it appears they  would be happy if they hit schools, hospitals, markets, and other heavily-populated targets.

So, imagine you are Israel. Do you have another way of attempting to put a stop to the daily barrage of missiles?

This is not an invitation to criticize the creation of Israel after WW2. It's not an invitation to criticize policies you think led up to Hamas.

I'm only asking what's the alternative to sending in its troops to attempt to drive Hamas out of Gaza?

Views: 2460

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unseen there  is no reason to for the middle east conflict, there is therefore no reason for a progressive thinker to take any sides on that bull.

"Are you talking about in Syria, where they are made?"

No.

I am referring to Gaza, where common materials such as muffled pipe and electrical conduit are fashioned into rockets using drills, small welders and lathes. 

Here is how insane the idea of Hamas warring on Israel is. Think of the quality of life Gaza citizens could have if Hamas would spend the money it spends on its totally unnecessary war against Israel and concentrated on helping its people instead:

I figured out that $90 million is about $50 for every man, woman, and child living in Gaza. This is money that Hamas spent on tunnels and arms, including missiles, instead of developing industries, building greenhouses, digging wells, and irrigating crops.

Of course, the outsiders (primarily rich Muslim governments) who gave Hamas the money didn't earmark it for developing industries, building greenhouses, digging wells, or irrigating crops. They earmarked the money for the hopeless war against Israel, because Israel is a military power far in excess of its meager size.

That's what Israel is up against.

@Gary Clouse

"Are you talking about in Syria, where they are made?"

No.

I am referring to Gaza, where common materials such as muffled pipe and electrical conduit are fashioned into rockets using drills, small welders and lathes. 

I doubt if the many hundreds and even thousands of rockets are made that way, especially since shipments of missiles from Syria and Iran have been intercepted.

Anyway, when they are shot over the border into Israel, whether they are homemade or imported from elsewhere is neither here nor there isn't it? There's no excuse for launching the missile attack in the first place.

Unseen there  is no reason to for the middle east conflict, there is therefore no reason for a progressive thinker to take any sides on that bull.

There is no reason for Israel to respond to Hamas shooting missiles into Israel? I beg to differ.

There is no reason for Israel to respond to Hamas sending un-uniformed soldiers into Israel to attack Israeli targets and engage in terroristic attacks? I beg to differ.

More generally, there is a reason behind the Middle East conflict and that is that the Muslim world, by and large, seeks to drive the Jews out of the Middle East, killing as many Jews as possible along the way.

The situation there around Israel/Palistine (Palisrael,Israelstine) is a complete mess.. The only way for it  to stop is for people to stop and unite. The problem or the fuel of this conflict is religious differences. The truth is they are more or less the same people genetically… It would help if they gave science a thought , rather being limited to their religious beliefs of the so called "promised land" If they continue there would be nothing left of this piece of land and may end up as a wasteland not worth living on.

It's not about religion. It's about the land.

Neither Jew nor Palestinian can claim that there ever was a land belonging to or governed by Jews or Palestinians there, at least not in modern times.

"Neither Jew nor Palestinian can claim that there ever was a land belonging to or governed by Jews or Palestinians there, at least not in modern times."

Yet both of them do. that is the root of the problem.

The Middle East Research Project has an excellent and accurate primer on the history of the conflict.

( I know it's not the Daily Caller, but it does have better credentials.)

So, for an over simplification,

The Palestinian claims to the land is based on legally deeded property rights to real estate that has been under family ownership for generations.  The Israeli claim is that god promised one of their ancestors all of the land between the Nile and the Euphrates Rivers.

We are shown images of collapsed sewer mains and told these are multimillion dollar smuggling tunnels,We are expected to believe that large Syrian made rockets are being smuggled into Gaza through these tunnels, which would require large munitions to be transported overland across miles and miles of heavily patrolled Israeli land just to reach the tunnel entrances.  And we must assume that Israel does nothing to instigate or escalate the violence, that the Dahiya policy is a legitimate defensive tactic.. We must believe that all Arabs are fanatical terrorists, and we must believe that politicians would never ever lie to us,

I think the U.N. needs to establish a larger presence in Palestine. Not necessarily military, but the fact that Israel has bombed U.N. shelters baffles me. 

If you go back to any war, you'll find that bombs hit and kill civilian targets as long as civilians are in the battlefield. The Hamas fighters tend to choose launching platforms for their missiles near high-density civilian targets. This is part of their PR war. The do something provocative the response to which gets civilians (preferably children) killed. Then, the press plays its role in distributing the news that "Israel is targeting children!" Then, the public outside the Middle East plays its role of parroting that propaganda.

Note, however, how silent other Muslim countries in the Middle East are in terms of supporting Hamas.

The problem isn't Israel, it's Hamas. Israel is just doing what any country under active attack would do.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service