An army is a blunt weapon. Send it into a populated area where the enemy doesn't wear a uniform and innocents are going to die. This is happening right now in Gaza. Many people are quick to blame Israel for these deaths, calling them "unnecessary" or even "war crimes."

Lately, Israel has had to endure unguided missiles raining down on its territory. Since they are unguided, the people launching them, Hamas soldiers, aren't conducting surgical strikes. In fact, it appears they  would be happy if they hit schools, hospitals, markets, and other heavily-populated targets.

So, imagine you are Israel. Do you have another way of attempting to put a stop to the daily barrage of missiles?

This is not an invitation to criticize the creation of Israel after WW2. It's not an invitation to criticize policies you think led up to Hamas.

I'm only asking what's the alternative to sending in its troops to attempt to cleanse Hamas out of Gaza?

Tags: Gaza, Hamas, Israel

Views: 1747

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Gaza is part of the territory of the Palestinian state,"

Are you talking about the Palestinian state Israel refuses to recognize?

Anyway  the Gaza strip is not that much different to the townships under apartheid. Too many people displaced from their land stuffed into too small of a space in refugee camp like situations. And just like in South Africa people put in that situation frequently resorted to indiscriminate violence upon those oppressing them.

The only major difference is that everyone screamed blue murder when South Africa was heavy handed with police actions hunting terrorists  in the Townships while Israel is allowed to use a state of the art military against them.

While Israel doesn't acknowledge Palestine there are no uncertainties regarding the borders of Gaza (as opposed to the West Bank). Since you are desperately attempting to draw some kind of link with SA, the analogy works much better with Lesotho and Swaziland. Still an extremely far fetched analogy with no explanatory power of the situation.

That is kind of the point, isn't it. Hamas doesn't give a shit where those missiles land, though they hope they land somewhere to kill some Israelis. Anyway, their purpose is terroristic, not military.

And yet:

Israel:  29 dead, 2 of which were civilian.

Gaza:  576 dead, ~70% of which were civilian.

If you are familiar with the history of the region, you would know that many of the Israeli political old guard leaders were, in their youth,active members of the Irgun, and Lehi Zionist terror groups. In the past the Likud party seemed to favor ethnic cleansing.

Yhe politics of hate requires a boogeyman, an imaginary existential threat raally political support for hawkish leaders. Israel's new president is a hardliner and former Likud party member..

I must say I am little bit disappointed , if not taken aback by Unseen. I may want to conquer with Erock68la. Unseen you seem to be so pro-Israel that you would want to sell your convictions of freethinking, I am not pro any delusion, if there are peaceful theists so be it, but to me they are both suffering from the same delusion. The solution is for both parties to stop the nonsense and gradually evolve from the pre-stone age delusion and embrace progressive communities of humans and their thinking ways .  

Where you are wrong is that Israel is basically a secular country that simply wants to live in peace, whereas Hamas and most of the Muslim world is evangelical: set on conversion and, also, on stamping out Israel and killing Jews in particular.

Don't be confused by the terms "Jew" and "Jewish," because they refer ambiguously to both a religion and an ethnicity, and many of the "Jews" in Israel are non-practicing ethnic Jews.

If I'm pro-Israel in your eyes, it's because Israel has had to endure a constant barrage of missiles emanating from Gaza. Apparently, that's fine with you.

Let me ask you—in the unlikely case you have a non-laughable answer—WHY does Hamas launch their missiles from schoolground, hospital grounds, marketplaces, and mosques, if not to encourage Israel (who needs to retaliate) to kill civilians?

As in "I'm not really a jew, I'm just a little bit jew-ISH"?

No, as in "I am an ethnic Jew but I don't practice Judaism."

I have a "Jewish" friend who doesn't practice and, in fact, in her case, she grants that the creation of Israel was probably a mistake, looking at the politics of the Middle East nowadays.

However, you can't un-ring a bell.

As in "I'm not really a jew, I'm just a little bit jew-ISH"?

BTW, that feels just a little scurrilous.

Yes, it was intended to be funny.  I apologize if it offended you or your jewish friend.  Maybe I'm overgeneralizing but in my experience talking with dozens of jewish friends, classmates, co-workers, and acquaintances, they (the people I have known and talked to) all have a certain amount of irreverence and a sense of humor about themselves. 

No problem.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service