How should Atheists swear?

One cannot understand English without having a basic knowledge of Christianity; so pervasive is that religion on our culture. Christianity's hold on European civilization has been totalitarian.

I am in favour of a secularization of North America that is so profound that when people swear they do not use religious references.

How many Atheists, when they have an orgasm exclaim "god!" What spoils the mood more: when you say it or when your partner says it?

And why do we use "fuck" as a swear-word. The Atheist comic George Carlin often wondered, why does a word describing the act of procreation merit being turned into a pejorative?

Towards an Atheist Newspeak.

A reason why Christianity dominates the English language and culture is because the theists imposed habits of thinking, altered the meanings of words to suit their world-view and made it as difficult as possible for anyone to think outside the box they built for us. The successful struggle against these efforts is called "The Enlightenment."

Secularists have ended the domination of Christianity - people now enjoy freedom of thought, at least in most countries. The time is overdue for us Atheists to take English over - to make it more likely that people will think secular thoughts and less likely to entertain obscurantist ideas.

Here are two ways we can do this :

1) stop using words that have religious or mystical meanings. The objective is that the words will die out from lack of use;

2) Co-opt the words. change their meaning permanently so that whenever someone uses a given word it can only have a secular interpretation.

In his novel 1984, George Orwell described how a totalitarian government used language to condition people's thinking.

That language can be shaped, controlled and purposively modified is not only an idea that totalitarians can implement- it is a fact that should be appreciated by anyone desiring liberty. We Atheists are partisans in a culture war and the English language is a battlefield we must control.

I therefore submit the following list as an example of words and expressions we should use in place of the current obscurantist terms:

This seems like such a good idea someone must have already proposed it. If you can find out who please let me know. As you can tell by these first four examples, I could use some assistance.

My god - my word
bless you - you are so good looking (Seinfeld)
Jesus! - Darwin!
holy shit - blue screen!

Dave Mann

Tags: 1984, Orwell, Swear, english, language, orgasm, swearing

Views: 1508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jesus H. Christ --> Jesus Fucking Christ

Jesus --> Fuck that Jesus dude.

BTW - this is a losing battle. The speech center that provides the wellspring of spontaneous epithets is not the same as the cognitive speech center. Read Steven Pinker instead of wishing in one hand and shitting in the other.

Just in respondse to the title:

Often. :P

I don't know.  Since I'm atheist, I get a charge out of saying god dammit and holy shit without a smidge of guilt.  I think I'll just keep doing it.

I think that blaspheming against a religion is hardly advancing its cause. Almost any Christian would object to using "Jesus Christ" and "shit" in the same contexts. Blasphemy is, after all, expressly forbidden to its constituents. It seems almost like a kind of protest against religion, showing that we don't fear its power. 

I've found its also fun to change it up and swear with different religions. It's easy to get around taboos that way.

Thor knows how you always seem to hammer in the good statements all the time. :)

I don't remember if it was from Dennet or Dawkins but an alternative for :
"Thank God!"
can become:
"Thank goodness!"

me & a friend used to say that when we were 10. But it was quiet a handful to say

That was Dennet describing how glad he was he survived some medical emergency, at the 2007 AAI conference.  Now whether that's where it originated is another question.

I've been trying to stop swearing religious idioms for a long time now. I can tell you that it's a hard thing to to, growing up in a religious family and how these things are ingrained in our language so culturally. It's pretty hard to stop, and I keep slipping back into it. Even jokingly trying to say things like "SCIENCE DAMN YOU!" or whatever.
i like to say " chees & rice " instead of jesus christ ... and if you know me personally you will not offend me by saying anything if i sneeze, if you do not know me and say bless you i will say, with no smile or emotion," please don't say that again " and that usually works.. but yea, i do not need to be blessed when i sneeze or any time else...
Since my feelings are that religion has been a cruse on humanity why would I not use religious term when swearing.

You rock. XD LMAO!

What I like, and people always give me shit for it is:

"Why in God's green hell"

"Hot as heaven"

"Dear Gods"

"Oh my" (about the only tame one)

and on and on and, you get the picture. It's fun when words have no meanings. O_o

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service