How open-minded are you when it comes to jokes? How far does your sense of humour go? Do you believe there are things people shouldn't joke about? Are there any topics you think should be avoided when it comes to jokes? What are those topics (if any) for you?

Tags: humour, jokes, taboo

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's exactly what I was saying. I don't like to point and laugh at other people, it doesn't matter if they're sick, disabled, or different in any way, but I do like jokes. I guess the context in which the joke is made is really important, perhaps for others, because I would laugh if a joke is funny, like in a situation similar to the one Maggie described below. :) I guess I would try not to laugh, but I don't think I would be able not to if the joke would be really funny.

It bothers me that some people actually take jokes seriously. Ricky Gervais was talking about him driving a little drunk once and that he almost ran over an old lady... in the end he said that he didn't ran over the old lady, he just raped her and he was lucky that she had Alzheimer so she wasn't a credible witness. I laughed with tears the first time I heard that and I still laugh at it. People, it's not true, most jokes are not true, are just intended to make people feel better and RIcky's jokes succeed every time, they make me feel better. Sure, the fact that Ricky is a great guy outside his gigs and the fact that a lot of the money from those gigs are donated to charity really helps. That's what matters. Jokes can come from a good or from a bad place. That's it. Hitler making jew jokes... not really funny because I would like to bash his fucking head against a concrete wall first, then laugh.

Jokes do not show other people how you view the world. Does that Alzheimer joke tells other people that Ricky likes to fuck old ladies with Alzheimer's disease? No. Jokes show other people whether or not you have a great sense of humour. If you take a joke seriously, then yes, it shows you how the person that told the joke views the world, but that would not be true.

he just raped her and he was lucky that she had Alzheimer

I like Ricky a lot, but not this joke. I get the humor, but I guess I don't like it because I think it's actually possible that a human could do that in real life.

Oldtimers is, can be funny- if not you show your fear of life- I don't want it to happen to me- BUT- (and it is happened to people I know) it's not funny- but it's funny- Radiation, retaradtion, stupidity, idiots, race, rich, poor, straight, gay,men, woman and the way we act (in general) and evrything can be funny- falling down - death, diesiese can be funny- LIFE is funny- -- it's a way to deal with reality- or you can pray for something that is not there....
I'm willing to excuse a lot, if it's actually funny.

For me, nothing is sacred... I will joke about anything. Why take anything in life seriously? No one gets out alive. Here's an example, and yes, I honestly did say this, verbatim:

A while back, I had a few friends living with me. This is strictly prohibited in my apartment complex. In a one-bedroom such as mine, I'm allowed only one other inhabitant, and they MUST be of the opposite sex, because I live in the bible belt and my landlady is a retarded christian (I'm sorry, I'll keep it PC, a fundamentalist). Anyway, it was two dudes and a chick. One night, it was just me and Johnny (the others had gone to visit relatives), and we were just kicking back watching a movie. Well, I fell asleep, and when I woke up, I found that he had committed suicide while I slept. The landlady came to see what was going on, and proceeded to tell me that having unauthorized guests was against my rental agreement. It just so happens that as she was saying this, they were wheeling Johnny's body out right in between us. I looked down and said "Well, I'm getting rid of'em one by one..." Everyone in the room froze, then one of my friends started laughing hysterically and my other (female) friend/guest threw up all over my freakin carpet...

Afterwards, when we were left to clean up the mess everyone had made, I started messing with my friend about how it smelled like something had died in here...

Before you guys write me off as a completely sociopathic asshole, realize that I consider suicide to be the most pathetic, weak, pussy shit a person can do. If you can't handle life, sure, gtfo. But do it in a way that's helpful, or saves the life of someone who WANTS to live. Don't do it in a way where the only legacy you leave behind is debt, despair, and a fucking mess for the rest of us to clean up...

~Maggie

That's funny as hell (hmmm, I guess hell, and how you're actually supposed to end up there, is kind of funny if you think about it). But what you said is really hilarious.

I don't have a problem with suicide, but I would have a big problem with cleaning up after it as well.

Reading about it, after the fact, is hilarious.... if I was there, in person, at that moment, I would probably have found it distasteful.  But now... funny!

I tell people I have a grey/warped since of humor. Especially when I comes to death. When I tell them that my first wife died they tell me how sad and I'm sorry to hear that. In response I say "she must of took that til death do you apart thing seriously"

If I have been there and done that then I have plenty of room to laugh myself as well.

I'll admit I will laugh if it strikes me funny. 

But humor out of ignorance is not funny to me.

Wow, mixed feelings here. That was a cold, cold thing to say. But I laughed!

Meanwhile, you knew Johnny better than I, but I wouldn't generalize so much. Some depressed people really have something chemically wrong, or are otherwise undeserving of the pain through no fault of their own. And many of them are treatable, if the right people care about them.

Anyone know what is more fun than stapling babies to the wall?  Nailing them to the wall.  Why?  

Cause they bleed more.  

(+1) if you laughed =)  

I laughed...

People don't get that a joke is just something to make you and/or others feel better, and that you don't actually nail babies to walls or do anything apparently cruel that you say as a joke. I really hate that.

If all the jokes that involve other people would be labeled as offensive, we would make just knock knock jokes. Then we would start to think about doors and that they may be offended or something. All the jokes that would involve other people would have to be labeled as offensive because  you don't have a kajjiger that measures how offensive a joke is. If you don't find them all offensive, you don't find any of them offensive. It just becomes a subjective matter, and you should not tell others what jokes to say or to what jokes to laugh just because you don't think it's funny.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service