How open-minded are you when it comes to jokes? How far does your sense of humour go? Do you believe there are things people shouldn't joke about? Are there any topics you think should be avoided when it comes to jokes? What are those topics (if any) for you?

Tags: humour, jokes, taboo

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But we don't all laugh at all humor. I doubt I'd laugh much at racial jokes by the KKK, or Jewish jokes by Nazis. But closer to home, we don't all think the same stuff is funny. I guess I'm pointing that out because it's interesting how different our humor can be. It's especially different across different generations. I don't like slapstick, but have friends who do.

My humor also changes over time. Here is my favorite humor at the moment:

NO MORE DEATH PANELS

PALIN-SCHIAVO 2012!

Regarding Reverend Jerry Falwell's death, I once heard Christopher Hitchens say "If you gave the man an enema, you could fit him into a matchbox".

(I guess, sadly, my favorite humor these days may be religious-political.)

ask him if he's related to Nelson Mandella, because he owes you five bucks from 11 1/2 years ago, and you really want it back.

Jimmy Carr said his favourite jokes are ones where the audience start to laugh and then go 'ohhhhh.' Because they know it's something they shouldn't be laughing at.

That's how I see it. You're laughing at it largely cause you know you shouldn't find it funny.

And on that note:

Jimmy Carr -

I think you know a girl is too young for you if you have to make the airplane noise to get your cock in her mouth.

(Jokes that make you go ohhhhh It's included in this from about 4:00-4:30)

I had to look up "cot death", which was in a joke at the beginning. I've only heard it called SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) in America. Now I like the joke. :)

I think you know a girl is too young for you if you have to make the airplane noise to get your cock in her mouth.

I stopped saying 'ohhhh' at any jokes. Why should I stop laughing when other people don't bother killing and/or harming each other. Give me a break. Let the harm done by me laughing at jokes like that be the only harm we encounter in our lives... but we're not that lucky. :)

Anyway... just saw an old lady in a wheelchair struggling up a hill. Was going to help but... it was snowing.

Humor is a good and important thing.  

About me, it depends on my mood..When I fell happy I became very open-minded and humorous person :)

Here is a good article,

19 Ways to Enhance Your Sense of Humor

I don't think it matters what mood am I in... humour always makes me feel better, even if just a little bit.

I tend to stop at extremely sexist ones, specifically when comics resort to talking about "their women" like objects and complaining mostly about them. I actually really like Maria Bamford, who makes fun of her dad, and has some of the craziest jokes ever--and they somehow work. Patton Oswalt, as well, has my type of joke, not only due to him being Atheist, but also because he's a hardcore nerd and sprinkles in lit jokes and comic book geek jokes among his actual jokes. Jim Gaffigan also has jokes I can deal with--due to him obviously not taking religion seriously at all, and outright mocking how retarded some of the ultra-religious are.

But it's mostly the anti-female stuff that bugs me the most, as well as any sort of rape joke---not cool, as well as out and out racist/black ones, I've had people "tell" me racist jokes before and I usually purposefully walk away from them or ignore them. Stereotypes are fine to make fun of if you are a member of the race, but it's like "taking things back", if you're white, you definitely cannot say anything, and most people telling these jokes are.

I'm with you on that. Some people say that if blacks can say "niggar", it should be ok for whites, too. I think it's ok for a white to say it if it's obviously not a put down, like if they're obviously friends. That's not always obviously true in public.

I'm a kind of an affirmative action guy, meaning that I'll give more leeway to the minority or downtrodden, to help make up for prejudice they obviously face in their daily life. I think it helps make life more fair. Ditto wrt women. It's still a fact of life that women don't get paid as much for the same work, and they're still the victim 80% (if not more) of the time in a man-woman case of abuse.

So (like you), that also colors what I think is funny vs what is ignorant or intentionally insensitive.

Guess I won't be the most fun at this party!

Hmm, you're right... woman is the nigger of the world! Look at that, I said nigger. Anyone offended? I like to think that I have the right to say whatever I want in front of (or towards) whoever I want at my own risk, even though I will probably never use that term as a derogatory term for a black person, friend or fiend.

And what about white boy? Is that not racist as well? I'm tired of all this nonsense... say whatever the hell you want, but keep in mind that the person your are talking to might not share your views on a lot subjects.

Maria Bamford is a goddess. Great mention. Makes me happy non-comics are dropping her name.
No subject is sacred where humor is concerned.  But humor can still be dangerous.  There's a thin line between vicious, nasty or "cutting edge" and hate.  Humor is not and should not be a cover for hate.  A racial joke can actually make people think without being hateful.  A sex joke can be distasteful to many without being hateful.  Insulting humor can be in the spirit of fun.

Of course, some people are more sensitive than others to certain topics.  What is one person's humor can be another person's hate.  Right or wrong, people have lost their jobs over humor or jokes.  In our politically correct society, a quip can turn into a nightmare if your intentions are not properly perceived.  People in positions of power or public trust need to think before quip.

Anyway, hateful humor crosses the line for me.  I've gotten in people's faces over their offensive racial jokes.

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 6 hours ago. 3 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 17 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 17 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service