How open-minded are you when it comes to jokes? How far does your sense of humour go? Do you believe there are things people shouldn't joke about? Are there any topics you think should be avoided when it comes to jokes? What are those topics (if any) for you?

Tags: humour, jokes, taboo

Views: 238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am like Ricky Gervais when it comes to jokes. He even said something about this that I think it fits very well my position regarding jokes:

There’s nothing you shouldn’t joke about. It depends what the joke is.

I agree.
I also agree.
Ricky's a wise man...I agree with his saying.

I don't know about subject that you shouldn't joke about, but there are things that really don't make me laugh. Jokes that involve making fun of people who are suffering terribly, for example, would only bring me down, not amuse me. But I won't say that you shouldn't joke about such things, only that I'd prefer you not to, at least not in my presence. We care too little as it is and joking about such 'delicate' topics doesn't do well for the image of humanity, although I think that ship has sailed a long time ago.

P.S. Sorry for ruining the party!

Well, I don't find funny every joke that has ever been made. Nobody does. Certainly, some jokes just aren't funny, and that's why I don't like them, because that's the purpose of a joke, to be funny and make you laugh, and not because we shouldn't joke about certain things. People forget sometimes that a joke is just a joke and take it more serious than they should. I don't like going to a hospital and point and laugh at sick people, because I don't like to point and laugh at people in general. That's stupid, but I don't mind a joke about sick people, if it's funny.

So far, only Ricky Gervais made me laugh with jokes about cancer patients, Alzheimer, god, fat people, and other subjects that a lot of people avoid when it comes to jokes. If anybody knows other comedians like him... a recommandation would be great.

Why did the little girl fall of the swing?

Because she had no arms.

Sometimes a joke can be totally NOT funny which then becomes funny - But that is all subjective.  

Like when a person tells a joke and messes up the punchline.  I laugh at that even though the joke failed.  

How many quadriplegics does it take to screw in a light bulb?  

It doesn't matter how many because they still won't be able too.  

I would be laughing at them, not at the joke in that situation.
Bill Hicks- Best comedian ever- died in 93 of pancreatic cancer- Check out "Relentless" or "Rant in E-Minor" or the dvd's out 

Jimmy Carr is quite good. He does one-liners but some are on touchy subjects.

Frankie Boyle is totally mental to be honest. There's nothing he won't have a go at. Check him on youtube for his most 'offensive' jokes.

Comedy is hard --- Death is easy

I work with many comedians- if you tell jokes you're dead- comedy can and should, cover every subject- nothingis off-limits- if it might offend you it is probably all that much more funny-

As an artist, musician, comedian- if it does not offend at least a few - you are not doing it right-

the better you are the more you might "offend" the established, PC world  

"Humour" can also mean temperament - jokes are a reflection of a person's temperament.  Jokes aren't funny when we recognise that the humour of the person telling them is not compatible with our own.  I don't like people with disabilities being made fun of, but I do like people who don't understand disability or how to interact with people with disabilities being made fun of.  Ricky Gervais always seeks to ridicule the way people are uncomfortable with disability, not to cruelly mock the disabled.

My point being  -  you can make jokes about any subject, but the joke will tell other people something about the way you view the world.  Some "jokes" aren't funny because they are an invitation to join in with some form of unpleasant stereotyping.  Some jokes are funny because they reveal in an amusing way some flaw in human nature.

It's not the subject matter that's important.  It's the treatment.

RSS

Forum

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ed 25 minutes ago. 19 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 3 hours ago. 27 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Virgil 4 hours ago. 130 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by David Seidman 8 hours ago. 8 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 12 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 1 Comment

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service