How open-minded are you when it comes to jokes? How far does your sense of humour go? Do you believe there are things people shouldn't joke about? Are there any topics you think should be avoided when it comes to jokes? What are those topics (if any) for you?

Tags: humour, jokes, taboo

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke,

I'm not really interested in awards ceremonies, but I watched this one because I was curious what was all the fuss about. Close to the end I was still waiting for Ricky to do something outrageous, but nothing. What about De Niro's jokes about the waiters and some members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association being deported just before the showed started? Wasn't that a little offensive? Come on, none of the show and the jokes were offensive.

haha, it was the same for me.  when I checked it out, I thought that's not offensive, he's just quoting the magazines...

Gervais appeared on CNN’s Piers Morgan Tonight to discuss the issue. “I’m not sorry for anything I said, because I’m not going to apologize for being true to myself,” he said. “I don’t care what people think of me. I care if I’ve done a good job, and I care if I’ve told the truth.

What Ricky said is really great, and people should always tell the truth in their own way.

Actually, The Kids Are All Right winning the award for Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy was a little offensive or at least stupid, but I guess that's subjective.

Anyway, I don't want to derail from the main topic of this discussion...

Ricky said that he chose the people he would introduce, and made the decisions by how much open-minded they are and how far their sense of humour goes.

If people can't take a joke they should stay at home, in front of a mirror, complimenting themselves.

Everything is funny. It's how you construct the joke. As George Carlin once said "Rape can't be funny? Oh yeah? Imagine Elmer Fudd raping Porky Pig."
I love that man so much. He was my inspiration. I miss him.
I think one should be able to make jokes about everything. There should always be a possibility to make some of something or someone. The person who made the joke should however also accept that jokes could be made about him. An open society should accept jokes!

I told this little gem to my friends the other day. I was planning on cracking at the next Christmas dinner to my family:

When I was younger, around 15-16, my dad used to sneak into my room at night. He would sit down, all quiet, and, according to my mom, spend countless hours there. Once, my mom walked in and caught him red handed. It was from that point on the whole family knew about his addiction to PC solitaire.  

He does play solitaire 2-3 hours every day..

I can honestly say that being a member of /b/ has destroyed or enhanced my sense of humor.

I don't really like the usual jokes such a bar jokes. I like jokes that are politically incorrect. I can't justify why I find jokes about poverty, hunger, racism, sexism and so on funny. 

Perhaps Sickipedia has influenced me too.

I consider anything and everything fair game.  It can all be funny.  Of course, I'm an old school /b/tard so, yeah....
To a degree, yes, I guess. I'm fine with most jokes as long as they aren't relentlessly being thrown at me. When you go on for ten minutes, I get tired of it. But I allow people to joke about my Asperger's to some degree, etc.
I tried so hard not to laugh as to not wake up my girlfriend. Failed.

RSS

Forum

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Ed 19 seconds ago. 8 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 64 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 5 hours ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 9 hours ago. 12 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service