How open-minded are you when it comes to jokes? How far does your sense of humour go? Do you believe there are things people shouldn't joke about? Are there any topics you think should be avoided when it comes to jokes? What are those topics (if any) for you?

Tags: humour, jokes, taboo

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hmm open-minded...

The term no holds barred-minded is more accurate.

My 'sense' of humor can be more mild flavored at times, although sarcastic and monotone is the norm and it is fueled with an excess of unfiltered associations and analogies forced to surface in mind.

It is not new to me when people have described me as crass, which agrees with my content (assuming they mean what I think they mean by the word) often enough.

In the more absolute sense I do not believe there are things people shouldn't joke about.

Although, what seems appropriate is to add that I do not find value or motivation to joke about certain things.

A quick example:
Child killed by chit-chatting on cellphone driver.

Parents just returned from the funeral.

The notion of bellowing out a jib about their daughter and cause of death ending with a punchline assured to be a gasser does not compute as making sense or hold reason.

Not factoring in that time of the month slightly modifying rationality, there is nothing that would be taboo material. That has nothing to do with having a blank stare unable to understand the humor or just finding certain humor signs the teller is not a mind I want to pick.

I make jokes all the time about things that are taboo, and my friends and family have come to know this about me and usually give me a giggle even if they thought it was a bit insensitive.  

Awhile back, I was at a bar with a bunch of friends.  One was this girl Louise, who I had dated for a few months, but had broken up amicably about 5 months earlier.  That night my good friend Stan came up and told me him and Louise had been dating for a few weeks but hadn't told anyone, and he was very concerned that it would upset me if I found out so he wanted to make sure I was ok with it.  Of course I was, and said don't even worry about it.

A little while later, I was talking to Stan, and he pointed out that Louise and this other girl were looking our way and laughing about something.  I said "Oh man I know what it is, I bet she was just telling Chrissy what a small dick I have."  He was so mad that I said something like that about his new gf (and my ex) that he slammed his beer down and walked out of the bar and wouldn't answer my calls.  I had to meet him later in the week and apologize for bringing up such a taboo topic as my ex girlfriend having seen me naked.

Another funny thing about this is that my friend Stan has one of the most irreverent senses of humor of any of my friends, so the fact he got so upset about such an innocuous retort was that much more ridiculous.  Years later, of course, Stan married Louise and we all laughed about the story.

Anyway I don't think anything is off limits.  I was recently joking with another friend about coming up with a comedy sketch about a girl who, on her way out the door for a blind date, accidentally grabs the dog whistle off the kitchen counter instead of her rape whistle.  And well, hilarity ensues...at least in our minds!  (if anyone wants to help me film this surefire comedy hit, let me know)

I think everything is open to be joked about I think it's the context that really matters... probably not a good idea to joke about drunk driving in front of a family that just lost a member to drunk driving for example or to be sending the latest hilarious racist joke to your friends via your work e-mail.

I think everything is open to be joked about I think it's the context that really matters...

That's what I'm talking about...

Good video.
While I don't find some styles of humor funny at all (ie: jackass and the like), I know how to take a joke and will excuse a good bit. I'm not sure that anything in and of itself is off limits. But sometimes the timing/situation can make it in bad taste (like 9-11 jokes swiftly following the tragedy). I must say that my wife is sometimes selective of which science jokes she tells me though. Because, although I may laugh, I then quickly explain any scientific/logical flaws in the story or punchline. Some find it odd that I can still find religion based jokes funny. But I feel that a joke is a joke. Funny is funny. Not to mention the religious angle is sometimes just used for framing and isn't even important to the punchline.
Sure, the timing is essential, because a joke that you find hilarious could be just "the person that says it being an asshole" in an inopportune moment.
Jokes are a sin. They are the devil. He always jokes around. I don't like that.
Who the hell asked you anything? Go play with your little angels.
Has anyone seen the Golden Globes Awards this year? What did you think about Ricky Gervais? Did he go to far with his jokes? A lot of people have been saying that he did, but I really liked him as usual, especially his "Thank you to god for making me an atheist." closing line.
that's not going to far!!!  He was really funny!  Come on, he only said what we are all thinking!

RSS

Forum

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 2 hours ago. 1 Reply

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 10 hours ago. 39 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service