I've noticed in many discussions that a lot of Americans on this site choose to abstain from voting. If you are one of these, and since I cannot vote in a US election even though I am indirectly affected by living on planet Earth, as a hypothetical question: How much would you charge me to buy your vote?

Specifically, how much would you charge if I asked you to vote Republican? How much for a Democrat vote?

-------

Please don't look at other answers before you provide a sum as this will give you a cognitive bias called Anchoring:

"During normal decision-making, anchoring occurs when individuals overly rely on a specific piece of information to govern their thought-process. Once the anchor is set, there is a bias toward adjusting or interpreting other information to reflect the "anchored" information. Through this cognitive bias, the first information learned about a subject can affect future decision-making and information analysis."

Views: 393

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dem vote free. Repub vote probably not available at any price.

My oldest daughter and I had a conversation not too long ago in which we talked about whether we were corruptible. Now, my daughter, who is 24 this month, said she's corruptible, depending on the situation, while I made it clear that I am not corruptible, no matter the circumstances. So, in answer to your question: No amount of money would cause me to allow you to buy my vote. I have a very strong ethical nature and no matter how badly I may need the money, I would never, ever put aside my ethics or morals for something I don't believe in or believe to be wrong. I've been broker than broke and desperate at some points in my life, but I have never given in to the temptation of seeing a light at the end of the tunnel...but only if I do something I know to be wrong. It'll never happen. I will happily vote Democrat and would never take any amount of money to allow anyone to vote Republican. I think anyone who would entertain that idea and seriously consider it has no room to complain about the things going on in our country right now. They would be just as culpable.

Everyone's corruptible, it's all a matter of price and situation. I presume you are not always 100% honest with your employer about your feelings and attitude. :)

Take the anecdote about George Bernard Shaw and a voluptuous blonde actress:

GBS: Madam, would you sleep with me for a million pounds?
Actress: My goodness, Well, I’d certainly think about it.
GBS: Would you sleep with me for a pound?
Actress: Certainly not! What kind of woman do you think I am?!
GBS: Madam, we’ve already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.

Sorry, Arcus, but not everyone is corruptible, as you'd like to believe. 100% honest in what I say or feel, no one is, but corruptible, that is a totally different animal. My feelings and attitude toward my employer have nothing to do with corruption. Would I steal from them, even if I knew with 100% certainty that I would get away with it? Absolutely not. I know you may find this hard to believe, but that is not a part of my DNA. I have had many opportunities in my life to be corruptible, but my conscience overrides any actual action to do the deed. Am I always honest about my feelings? No. Am I perfect? Definitely not. But I AM honest in that I would never take something that's not mine or do something for any sum of money. I couldn't live with myself if I did that.

Politics itself is the art of corruption. The politicians "buy" votes with promises of certain obligations (i.e. taxes, legislation) for which you are granted certain services (i.e. welfare, defense). Since these things have actual monetary value. You will vote for the party which grants you the highest utility, essentially whomever gives you most the most bang for your buck.

(It's also why populists are always popular with many since they promise you more for less. People with poor ethics weak math skills don't understand that receiving valuable goods and services for free is theft unrealistic.)

I'm just attempting to make the value visible. :)

Trish

"My oldest daughter and I had a conversation not too long ago in which we talked about whether we were corruptible. Now, my daughter, who is 24 this month, said she's corruptible, depending on the situation, while I made it clear that I am not corruptible, no matter the circumstances."

everyone has their price and it is not always money. Tell me, if your daughter  was  starving to death, would you then steal to feed her? Or how about if she was sick and dying and the only way for you to get the medicine she needs to cure her was to steal the money needed? Will you honestly tell me that you would rather see your precious daughter suffer , in excruciating pain as she slowly dies, than break your moral code?

First of all, I'm talking about corruption...doing something you know to be wrong for some kind of personal gain. There is a HUGE difference between corruption and doing something out of desperation to save the life of someone you love. So, again, I am NOT corruptible, I will never do something wrong for my own personal gain.

cor·rup·tion/kəˈrəpSHən/

Noun:
  1. Dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery.
  2. The action of making someone or something morally depraved or the state of being so.

I dont feel it is so different. Some people will do what they know is wrong for money, some people will do it for power, you will do it for your daughter. The only thing that has changed here is the reward to be gained from doing what is wrong, not the actual wrong doing in itself

Now dont get me wrong. i consider power and money to be paltry reward when compared to saving someone you love, but i know not everyone will feel the same as me. as important as your daughter is to you is as important as power is to some people

If you read the definition of the word, then you'll know there is a huge difference. Corruption comes from greed, not from need. It shows a lack of morals or consideration for others. It's very simple. The reward from corruption is usually money and/or power. That is what corruption is.

I was replying more to your statements like this than a strict definition of  corruption

"No amount of money would cause me to allow you to buy my vote. I have a very strong ethical nature and no matter how badly I may need the money, I would never, ever put aside my ethics or morals for something I don't believe in or believe to be wrong" take notice where you say " no matter how badly i need the money"

Or "But I AM honest in that I would never take something that's not mine or do something for any sum of money. I couldn't live with myself if I did that."

never is a very strong word to use

and corruption has another definition

"In philosophical, theological, or moral discussions, corruption is spiritual or moral impurity or deviation from an ideal."

Geez, what I said still holds true. Again, let me stress, I would not do anything DISHONEST for the sake of money or power. NO MATTER HOW BROKE I AM. I've been totally broke, even lived in my car at one time, but I sought help the right way. I have had men in my past who had serious money who would buy me whatever I wanted if I went out with them...and guess what? I still said NO. I have strong ethics and would never allow someone to spend money on me whom I don't care about. And I wouldn't steal from my job, no matter how desperate my financial situation is. So please give it a rest. I stand by what I said.

I know some people find it hard to believe that there's even ONE person who wouldn't do these types of things, but I am absolutely one of those people. Just because you would do it, don't try to say I will. Because I never have and never will.

No. You say you are incorruptible because you would not do x for money nor power but admit you would do  x to save your daughters life. that is still corruption

a dictionary definition of corruption

Definition of CORRUPTION

a : impairment of integrity, virtue, or moral principle : depravity
c : inducement to wrong by improper or unlawful means (as bribery)
  d : a departure from the original or from what is pure or correct
Take notice of 1a and you can see that whether you did x for money , power or to save your daughters life it is still corruption. You admit you will  corrupt your moral principal of not stealing in order to save your daughters life. therefor you are still corruptible , the only difference is what reward you get from doing it

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service