NOTE: This thread does not flame against Atheism, but it does criticise it. It displays my definition of Atheism which seems to be not for the general public. If you can't deal with criticism towards Atheism you are in the wrong discussion.

Additionally the fear of extremism is directly linked to very seemingly possible distant futures NOT THE NEXT 2 YEARS.

First of all I would like to say I am mostly against all sorts of organized religions, but in fact I am agnostic. (meaning I dont admit defeat to any superpower untill there is enough evidence to support it)

In my opnion there is a big issue that does not tend to be adressed with religion in the right way. People always complain about how close minded religion really is and that most of their followers are just blindly pusuing the herd. Though how much "better" is atheism really?

Atheism is by my language's definition a religion itself. The translated definition of religion in German and Dutch state that a belief turns into a religion once the belief itself sets an definition of how the world works.

People think atheism is about the "we dont know" factor, but it is not. Atheism preeches the "We know YOU are wrong" factor.

I absolutely agree with the fact that atheism not being an organized religion (yet) gives it a higher level logical acceptance, but where is it going?

Atheism used to be the outcast lunatics hanged to death. Now there are groups forming all over the world  with "logical leaders" behind it. I honestly think atheistm is goign in the same direction as all other religions are going right now. How far do you think you are of having atheism's jehovas whitnesses at your door? I have listened to my lesser educated/informed friends rampage about religion after having seen one biased documentary (Religulous). They were making statements such as, "I am gonna kill all those who believe in religion" etc. This is nothing more than atheist extremism. Even on this webiste it seems that some topics are purely places here ase a response to rage/anger against religious people.

This brings you to the discussion that  should be here, maybe even istead of this entire website (not hating at the website, this place is great), "Are we too unintelligent?"

The reason people follow blindly what is set right infront of them is because they are uninformed and scared of complecated explanations that undermine the value of their own existence in this universe.

Religion is part of the problem, but education is in an infinitely worse state.

(Again I am not hating at atheism, as I am far more happy with it that even Buddism, but merely pointing out a more pressing issue. Next year Ill be attending univesity where I hope to find more who have brought themselves up to date with the real issues)

*EDIT: removed the word absolute from the definition of atheism, this is not correct.

*EDITEDIT:Updated description

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Atheism will never force people to convert, require any sort of attendance or worship, punishing people for not believing (either with real or imagined consequences) or force people to fork over money

A minimum amount of organization doesn't make it a religion. There are things atheists tend to agree on, but there are many things people disagree about. Sometimes passionately. Just see elevator-gate

I tell you this is exactly what the first 1000 believer of Christianity said in relation to a corrupt Kingdom.

Maybe so, but Atheists don't have a version of a "bible", don't believe in something they've never seen, don't go to an Atheist church, etc... It's not an organized religion, or even a religion at all in my opinion.

I don't even think all Atheists believe in all the same things. I've never heard that people think Atheism is about the "we don't know" factor... I think the people who are undecided would be considered Agnostics. 

I personally don't label myself any religion, or non-religion, but I'd much much rather be an atheist than a Christian. So, is Atheism better? Uem, yea! We'd have a lot less war and hate if everyone were Atheists, vs. another religion.

Not only religions end up corrupt. Businesses, countries etc. You might not think of Atheism as a relion but humanity has proven they can corrupt anything that is globally organzed. And I promise you atheism will be organised, we are just in the really early stages of its development
So, are you insinuating that since you consider Atheism a religion and will eventually be considered an "organized religion", it will become corrupt?
In the past everything and literally everything created by human organization eventually ended up corrupt. I just hope that atheisms will be the one to break the chain.

Atheism will become rather a moot term, along with organizations touting the flag of atheism.

No bible yet you have leaders who write books, once again only by opinion not by practice can you separate the two.

Religions do not believe in the same things, oh right that's different?

War is based on anger, if you become the majority, which group goes first?

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Books by atheist authors do not claim to be the one truth that everyone should follow lest they go to hell. They encourage readers to think for themselves - not to worship the author.
Exactly. Great answer and to the point.
Absolutely agreed.
<3

RSS

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service