NOTE: This thread does not flame against Atheism, but it does criticise it. It displays my definition of Atheism which seems to be not for the general public. If you can't deal with criticism towards Atheism you are in the wrong discussion.

Additionally the fear of extremism is directly linked to very seemingly possible distant futures NOT THE NEXT 2 YEARS.

First of all I would like to say I am mostly against all sorts of organized religions, but in fact I am agnostic. (meaning I dont admit defeat to any superpower untill there is enough evidence to support it)

In my opnion there is a big issue that does not tend to be adressed with religion in the right way. People always complain about how close minded religion really is and that most of their followers are just blindly pusuing the herd. Though how much "better" is atheism really?

Atheism is by my language's definition a religion itself. The translated definition of religion in German and Dutch state that a belief turns into a religion once the belief itself sets an definition of how the world works.

People think atheism is about the "we dont know" factor, but it is not. Atheism preeches the "We know YOU are wrong" factor.

I absolutely agree with the fact that atheism not being an organized religion (yet) gives it a higher level logical acceptance, but where is it going?

Atheism used to be the outcast lunatics hanged to death. Now there are groups forming all over the world  with "logical leaders" behind it. I honestly think atheistm is goign in the same direction as all other religions are going right now. How far do you think you are of having atheism's jehovas whitnesses at your door? I have listened to my lesser educated/informed friends rampage about religion after having seen one biased documentary (Religulous). They were making statements such as, "I am gonna kill all those who believe in religion" etc. This is nothing more than atheist extremism. Even on this webiste it seems that some topics are purely places here ase a response to rage/anger against religious people.

This brings you to the discussion that  should be here, maybe even istead of this entire website (not hating at the website, this place is great), "Are we too unintelligent?"

The reason people follow blindly what is set right infront of them is because they are uninformed and scared of complecated explanations that undermine the value of their own existence in this universe.

Religion is part of the problem, but education is in an infinitely worse state.

(Again I am not hating at atheism, as I am far more happy with it that even Buddism, but merely pointing out a more pressing issue. Next year Ill be attending univesity where I hope to find more who have brought themselves up to date with the real issues)

*EDIT: removed the word absolute from the definition of atheism, this is not correct.

*EDITEDIT:Updated description

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for your reply, without immediate rage.

I do completely agree with all the questions you posted.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that compared to human history and that everything allways seem to converge to choas I am looking at it more on the 100 year or so time line.

All ends in corruption even fucking charities. Atheism could eventually be properly considered a religion as science converges. (if that is even possible)

Sure, if you want to look at it as a sort of Atheism™.  Philosophically, atheism cannot be considered a religion.  In practice, however, the term 'atheism' carries a lot of baggage.  That's why a site like this isn't just a series of posts declaring disbelief.  There are things positively associated with atheism/ atheists/ the atheist movement.  

In much the same sense, I have met Christian outliers who are devout, but against all Christian institutions outside of the Bible and mythology (I don't know how that works on a theological level; not really my area of interest).  To their minds, they are Christian purists representing a philosophical extreme.  However, when the vast majority of people are talking about Christianity, they are not talking about these outliers; they are talking about organized religion(s).  Atheism could become that at some point in time, I suppose.

absolutely agreed, but if you now compare even todays atheist community with what you jkust described you see more and more similarities. extremist atheist and christian where each think the other should be eradicated and normal people where atheists and christians just disagree without consequence.

In the german translation, it says, "Es gibt keine wissenschaftlich allgemein anerkannte Definition des Begriffs Religion."  I'm pretty sure that's saying there are no generally accepted definitions for religion (which I happen to disagree with, but we'll go with it for now).  

Additionally, in Statistics B, you'll find "Non-Religious" listed as a statistic.   From the reference: "Begriffsdefinition lt. Encyclopædia Britannica: Nonreligious: Persons professing no religion, nonbelievers, agnostics, freethinkers, dereligionized secularists indifferent to all religion."

Anyway, the point is your source doesn't exactly agree with you.

Any book on atheism, pick one!
Pick one?  I can't; I've never actually read any of them.  They are wholly unnecessary for being an atheist (though that's not to suggest they are without value).

Atheism is by my language's definition a religion itself. The translated definition of religion in German and Dutch state that a belief turns into a religion once the belief itself sets an absolute definition of how the world works.

People think atheism is about the "we dont know" factor, but it is not. Atheism preeches the "We know YOU are wrong" factor.

Wrong.  Atheism is the rejection of the claim that there is a god, because there is no evidence to support the claim.  Simple as that, nothing more nothing less.  This is not at all "an absolute definition of how the world works".  Opinions of atheists can vary greatly on different topics because there is no devine law governing our morals.
That being said, I tend to agree with your conclusion.  Education is definitely a huge part of the problem, especially here in the US.
Edit: sorry about the jumbled text... formatting doesn't seem to be working for some reason.
Your arguement is repeated what I wrote myself to begin with.

No, it isn't.  You say atheism is "an absolute definition of how the world works".  It is not.  It's the rejection of a positive claim on the grounds of lack of evidence.  In other words, atheism doesn't by definition say "there is no god"; it says "there is no evidence to support the claim that there is a god."

Granted, some Atheists do say there is definitively no god.  These are a subset (Gnostic Atheists) of the superset Atheists.  Even if you want to argue for Gnostic Atheism being a religion, I think you will fall short.  By the definition of religion you provided, yes it fits.  But I personally do not agree with your definition, nor do any definitions I've read in dictionaries, where invariably there's a reference to worshipping the supernatural, explaining the purpose of life, and laying out a moral code.  Atheism (even Gnostic Atheism) does none of these things.

I removed the "absolute" from what I wrote intially as it seems to not give the right idea of what I mean to say. I do disagree with your arguement.

A religion is a belief system that only requires customs, a unified way of seeing the world, etc. NOT A DEITY

What atheism is not, is a organised religion.

I understand your point, I guess this just has to do with me thinking everyone has some sort of a religion/belief system. I feel as thogh a human wont function with one, so eventually I came to see atheism as a religion
well, of course we all have our own moral compass.  That doesn't mean that mine has to align with anyone else's, nor does it mean that I have my own personal religion.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service