I am really sorry if this has been posted before.

If you knew me in person, you would know I love getting into discussions with people about religion. One of the questions that seems to keep coming into the discussion loop is Jesus.

So I was at a social gathering the other night at a restaurant and I dropped my silverware and out of habit I said "Jesus Christ!" And a random girl that was a friend of a friend said, "Don't use the Lords name in vain."

So obviously we got into a debate.

I brought up the point in the discussion that Jesus never existed. Well everyone looked at me like i was off the wall insane...

At that point the discussion just turned into incoherent ramblings and Grrrr... So frustrating that people base their whole life on hearsay! Simply dumbfounding!!!

Help me feel better... seriously.

Tags: jesus

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My sources are cited in another reply that I'm sure you will get to shortly.

Oral tradition?  Maybe so for the Temple scribes, whose full-time job it was to record scripture, but not for the disciples, whose job it was to evangelize the earth.  If Jesus would have just told his disciples to write it down, maybe people would have believed it for the truth instead of legend.

Of course, if Jesus could have just walked up to the Temple on resurrection day, Caiaphas would have had the scribes add it to the Jewish bible.  Then the christians would have been known as Jews.

Jesus could have met the apostle Paul in life, or resurrection, instead of smoting him down on the road to Damascus.  Jesus could have given Paul personalized instruction. However, it's more dramatic when Jesus appears as a spirit, then allowing for Paul's miraculous conversion.

Christians were known as Jews ;). Christianity started as a Jewish sect and quickly evolved due to become anti-semitic, or at least not very semetiic.
You missed the point entirely.

I think the point that needs to be made is that whether or not he did exist as a carbon based, flesh and bone product of this planet as we... That OUR point is we don't believe in the majestic unicorn riding apostles of fear that the gospel tries to shove down our free-thinking throats everyday.

As an atheist, I feel this question is not entirely irrelevant, but is a little rhetorical amongst our mindset (no offense, Sophie). Maybe it's just I who perceieves it that way, but just putting in my two- to three-cents.

Live well, you free-thinking defectors :P

And they would still be known as Jews today.  Jesus would be incorporated into their Bible.  They also would be worshipping the Messiah instead of still looking for him.

Really, if the resurrection story depicted in the bible is true, and Jesus made such a feeble, undocumented showing, being omniscient, ominpresent, and omnipotent, then I prefer not to follow him.  He would have to be an idiot not to show himself in grand fashion.  Why not just march up to the Temple on Resurrection day?  Why not just walk down Main Street in Jerusalem so everyone can see you?  Why not walk right up to Pontius Pilate and embrace him?

No time to explain, but I believe there was a person called Jesus that existed 2000 years ago preaching of a god... Though the miracles and whole "Son of God" thing are fictional, of course.

i think he existed, but not with any magical powers

maybe just a little high on charisma :)

i think they found some evidence of his existence, like the cave where his body was put after the crucifixion.

and the robe he was wearing with some blood on it

you should check in to it

maybe get a documentary from national geographic about Jesus, savior or myth ^^

I would say yes, someone named Jesus (or the equivalent in the local language) probably did exist. I would go so far as to accept that such a person spoke out against the church authorities and was executed for it. Then a mythology was hijacked/constructed around him, and a new religion was formed. But beyond the very general claims that aren't extraordinary, the evidence is insufficient. The name is not uncommon, and dissidents would be executed occasionally. But any teaching of Jesus may well be fabricated, any actions might not have taken place, and I certainly don't buy any of the miracle claims.
Haven't been able to read the whole thread, but I tend to think most myths have some basis in reality (however small it may be). There probably was a guy named Jesus who captivated a lot of people with his power of speech. Some of them liked what he had to say so much that they crafted a messianic story around his actual life to convert other people to their new religion. Virgin birth, crucifixion, resurrection, miracles, his claim to be the "son of god", all of it except maybe the main points of his message.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service