I am really sorry if this has been posted before.

If you knew me in person, you would know I love getting into discussions with people about religion. One of the questions that seems to keep coming into the discussion loop is Jesus.

So I was at a social gathering the other night at a restaurant and I dropped my silverware and out of habit I said "Jesus Christ!" And a random girl that was a friend of a friend said, "Don't use the Lords name in vain."

So obviously we got into a debate.

I brought up the point in the discussion that Jesus never existed. Well everyone looked at me like i was off the wall insane...

At that point the discussion just turned into incoherent ramblings and Grrrr... So frustrating that people base their whole life on hearsay! Simply dumbfounding!!!

Help me feel better... seriously.

Tags: jesus

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But surely the existence of someone so crucial to a faith shouldn't be simply a matter of opinion. He either did or he didn't and no one has offered any credible evidence that he did. I've heard many say, including Richard Dawkins, that he "probably" existed but that means nothing. If he did exist and was the messiah then the evidence would be overwhelming wouldn't it? If he existed as a man and was simply one of the many evangelists around at that time then the lack of evidence would be what one would expect.

Yes, I agree, Peter,

You're describing an issue that lacks persuasive evidence.  People can either agree, disagree or abstain.  Good luck proving ANY particular argument . . . or that anybody else is wrong.

Paul the apostle seemed to think that Jesus was a spirit that lived in the unseen spiritual world and never once set foot on earth, instead communicated through dreams and visions. He died and resurrected all in a spiritual state. He would have known that Jesus was a person if he was indeed a person.

Well said, that's  exactly what I was going to say!

Minus the fact that nothing in Paul's letters make that case.
It is nearly impossible to prove ANYTHING from history ever existed/happened. That is the major problem with history. While there are some pretty damning arguments against Jesus ever existing trying to prove it is like trying to prove God doesn't exist. Impossible. You can't prove something doesn't (or in this case, didn't) exist.

True. I can't prove something didn't happen based solely on the written word.  But I can ask questions concerning the event.

If Homer tells me there was a real man named Jason who sailed the Mediterranean, I don't have any reason to disbelieve that.  If he tells me that a race of one eyed Cyclops existed, I might ask to see a fossil with a big hole where the eye should be.

If someone tells me that Jesus appeared in the midst of the disciples, but one disciple was missing, so he visited that disciple a week later, I can ask what Jesus did for the week in between.  Who was he seen by?  Why aren't the bible writers telling me all about it?  Is Jesus evangelizing? healing people? teaching the disciples? This is a dead man walking.  The people should be dancing in the streets (or maybe kneeling in prayer). They should be shouting it from the rooftops.

I think that Jesus could be an invention.
I do like that documentary but there are a few things wrong. For example; John was not based on Mark and Hebrews was not authored by Paul.
Also I posted a discussion on the same topic in September...
It seems to be a popular thing among atheists.
http://www.thinkatheist.com/forum/topics/new-debate-topic-the
PERHAPS JESUS LIKE but that'd be it.

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service