I am really sorry if this has been posted before.

If you knew me in person, you would know I love getting into discussions with people about religion. One of the questions that seems to keep coming into the discussion loop is Jesus.

So I was at a social gathering the other night at a restaurant and I dropped my silverware and out of habit I said "Jesus Christ!" And a random girl that was a friend of a friend said, "Don't use the Lords name in vain."

So obviously we got into a debate.

I brought up the point in the discussion that Jesus never existed. Well everyone looked at me like i was off the wall insane...

At that point the discussion just turned into incoherent ramblings and Grrrr... So frustrating that people base their whole life on hearsay! Simply dumbfounding!!!

Help me feel better... seriously.

Tags: jesus

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jesus was not god though. There is no god.

And by definition, if he was a prophet then he wasn't god. 

You do not know if there is a God or not. You just believe there is no God; which is a big difference...

So if Jesus was God, He could rise from the dead. Do you agree?

If Jesus was God, he couldn't die and therefore could not rise from the dead.  So, I disagree with your statement.

Why could He not die?

Where is your logic?

Gods are immortal.  That means they cannot die. 

Where is your logic? 

Logic written by humans...

Have you heard of paradoxes? 

As previously asked, How could a god die.

I don't see the problem here. Couldn't we just get one of our writers to change the script?
I know there is no god with the same degree of certainty that I know there are no fairies.  You wouldn't make that statement to someone who said that there were no fairies.  Making it in this context is rank intellectual dishonesty.
Ultimately I suppose this question simply devolves into semantics. If the question is whether there was anyone alive at that time who was something like Jesus i.e., a carpenter who maybe did a little preaching and maybe had a little ragtag group of followers, then sure, there were probably some guys like that, but when I hear 'historical Jesus' I think you are referring to the actual guy in the Bible. An actual man who was born in a manger, preached the Sermon on the Mount, died on a cross, etc. So as far as that goes, without a shred of evidence, no eyewitness accounts, no historical records, no personal writings, then no I don't believe in a 'historical' Jesus.

It's my opinion that there likely was a Jesus or someone that the character was based off of. A preacher with a following and plenty to say, but just a man. No divinity, no miracles, no resurrection.  It's important not to confuse a historical Jesus and a divine Jesus.  One can still be an Atheist and subscribe to there being a simple man that fit the Jesus profile. Remember, if Jesus existed but wasn't divine, it still destroys the foundation of Christianity the same as if he never existed.

So remember the Life of Brian, and praise be unto his gourd.  lol  :)

True, It may be easier to get a theist to doubt if you argue for there never being a Jesus. But do the ends justify the means? I would like there to be less theism, just like the rest of us. However, I personalty prefer to remain intellectually honest and fight for the facts as they can be revealed to be. Perhaps this is a lofty standard. But I feel that if I am not being intellectually honest, than am I really promoting a real change toward unbiased scientific thought. It's agreeable that the 'no Jesus' approach may garner at least short term results. But there may be danger in hanging everything on it. For if we don't make the distinction between 'divine Jesus' and 'nobody special Jesus' now, and instead ram on and on that there was no Jesus at all. Any potential future proof that shows there was a man named Jesus may make many instantly think Jesus = existed = divine savior. It may be safer to opine that there likely wasn't, but also notate that even a human Jesus doesn't equate him to be the son of a god.

© 2015   Created by umar.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service