I am really sorry if this has been posted before.

If you knew me in person, you would know I love getting into discussions with people about religion. One of the questions that seems to keep coming into the discussion loop is Jesus.

So I was at a social gathering the other night at a restaurant and I dropped my silverware and out of habit I said "Jesus Christ!" And a random girl that was a friend of a friend said, "Don't use the Lords name in vain."

So obviously we got into a debate.

I brought up the point in the discussion that Jesus never existed. Well everyone looked at me like i was off the wall insane...

At that point the discussion just turned into incoherent ramblings and Grrrr... So frustrating that people base their whole life on hearsay! Simply dumbfounding!!!

Help me feel better... seriously.

Tags: jesus

Views: 196

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you saying that there was a prophet. As in someone who could prophecy the future.

If Jesus was real, there is no way he rose from the dead.  Once your dead thats it. No second chances.

Well thats what a lot of scholars believe; He was a prophet (not a prophet who could tell the future or anything)

If Jesus was God, why could He not rise from the dead?

Jesus was not god though. There is no god.

And by definition, if he was a prophet then he wasn't god. 

You do not know if there is a God or not. You just believe there is no God; which is a big difference...

So if Jesus was God, He could rise from the dead. Do you agree?

If Jesus was God, he couldn't die and therefore could not rise from the dead.  So, I disagree with your statement.

Why could He not die?

Where is your logic?

Gods are immortal.  That means they cannot die. 

Where is your logic? 

Logic written by humans...

Have you heard of paradoxes? 

As previously asked, How could a god die.

I don't see the problem here. Couldn't we just get one of our writers to change the script?
I know there is no god with the same degree of certainty that I know there are no fairies.  You wouldn't make that statement to someone who said that there were no fairies.  Making it in this context is rank intellectual dishonesty.
Ultimately I suppose this question simply devolves into semantics. If the question is whether there was anyone alive at that time who was something like Jesus i.e., a carpenter who maybe did a little preaching and maybe had a little ragtag group of followers, then sure, there were probably some guys like that, but when I hear 'historical Jesus' I think you are referring to the actual guy in the Bible. An actual man who was born in a manger, preached the Sermon on the Mount, died on a cross, etc. So as far as that goes, without a shred of evidence, no eyewitness accounts, no historical records, no personal writings, then no I don't believe in a 'historical' Jesus.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com