In my everyday life, I wear my atheism on my sleeve. I don't throw it in anyone's face, but I will react if the topic of religion comes up and my input is appropriate. I am open to friends and family about it, so nobody has any illusions about where I stand.

Lately, I've been increasingly vocal on Facebook about news that I feel warrants an atheist response. Most of those posts are largely ignored. I was raised Roman Catholic, and went to Catholic schools from 3rd grade all the way through college, so a majority of my friends on Facebook are Catholics. As such, my wall is often littered with bible quotes, links to religious articles, and all the pro-life/anti-abortion propaganda you can imagine. I am in a serious relationship with my girlfriend and we have spoken of marriage; she and her family are all Christians of various degrees. I generally don't shy away from letting my opinion of how ridiculous religious beliefs are, and probably lean towards what is currently (and errantly, imho) referred to as "militant" atheism.

I feel very strongly about raising objections when people make religious posts (if you can imagine what my wall was like after the quake in Japan, and all the "let's pray" responses, you can feel my pain) and I feel that in as much as people are free to give their faith lip-service, I should be able to offer opinions from the other side of the fence.

I'm at a point now where I feel like my outspoken criticism of religion is beginning to alienate people who I value as friends, and is in danger of causing a rift between me and my girlfriend (many of her friends and family are also friends on Facebook). While I have no qualms about losing friends who are of the "if you don't believe what I believe, we can't be friends" variety, I feel it goes deeper than that. I feel like my friends are feeling a more personal sting when I criticize their beliefs, which is often an unavoidable side-effect of being critical of religion.

As passionate as I am about remaining vocal and offering some balance to all the religiosity, and standing up for what I believe in, it is not worth losing those I hold dear to me. I hope to one day marry my girlfriend, and while she can accept the way I feel, I think she struggles with how outspoken I am about it. I intend to back off considerably, only responding when absolutely necessary. I feel a little weak and cowardly for letting others dictate my behaviour, but I have to be selfish and ignore it for the sake of keeping those close to me from getting fed up and walking away.

I guess my question is this: If you're "open" on Facebook with your atheism, how hard do you push it? Are you vocal, or more reserved? Do you think posting atheist articles and news stories about religious wrongdoings is going too far?

I've made up my mind, but I guess I'm looking to get some sense of how you guys feel.

Tags: Atheism, Facebook

Views: 198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ever since I became sure of my stance, I have been a "loud" atheist on facebook and in real life.

Of course some of my friends don't like that someone is challenging their beliefs, but I've grown to feel some sort of apathy towards their feelings when it comes to faith. Every now and then I'll put an atheistic quote as my status. I also, as the thread starter mentioned, comment whenever I see something that has to do with religion on facebook. Be it a debate, a video or one comment. Some of my friends like it, and some don't.

What made me ease up with my negative comments about religion, was when my mom asked me to stop. Why? Because it hurt her feelings. I didn't really mind when my friends were annoyed with my input on facebook, because I knew that they were about as much a christian as I was. But when it was my mother, who is a 'true believer', I eased up. She is a peaceful christian, she has nothing against homosexuals, she's a doctor (which isn't exactly a job for the stupid), she's pretty much an idol, and I didn't want to hurt her.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm still a militant atheist, just not so much on facebook.

I am totally in the closet on Facebook but one of my Facebook friends who is 18 put a caption under her profile that said "fuck your religion". But I don't think you can have captions under your profile any longer and I don't think it gets any more offensive then that. 

That's kind of like having a sign on your front door that instead of saying "no solicitation" it says "fuck your religion" lol. That's just too much but she is a funny one (the good kind of funny).  

So you live in Louisiana? I feel sorry for you because I know how you feel, I live in Louisiana too!
yes I do know, I have lost friends and family for who I am.
I push my Atheism on Facebook plenty. A few of my friends get a little unsure because some of my points have them questioning their faith, but they realize and respect where I'm coming from when I speak of lies that keep mankind in a bondage to fantasy and nonsense.

First off, I have two facebook accounts. One is work, my kid's friends, family, Xian friends, everybody but the really rude fuckers. I call it my PG-13 facebook page. Its not PC, but its pretty tame. 800+ friends.

On my NC-17 page, I speak my mind much more freely. Less than 100 friends.

I didn't proselytize much (in my mind) when I was a Xian. I ignore most Christian comments and posts, but get in my face and you will get it with both barrels. Occasionally something will rub me the wrong way and I will say something causing a shitslide. I will slam those who post intolerant bullshit on either account. 

There is a time and a place for everything. I don't make a secret about being an atheist, but I don't walk around rubbing people's faces in it. I'm happy to have conversations with people if they are civil. I do post atheist links and articles on both accounts, but I don't overrun them. I'm not out to deconvert the world. Yet.

Certainly out, but I try to avoid pushing it. I'm often vague in how I say it. For example, a status from today. "If you are worried about your stuff, let me know and I'll take ownership of it on May 20 for your peace of mind on May 21st." It's a poke, but one that even other Christians can appreciate. I'll pick on bad science, take on some political and religious issues, but I try to avoid going over the top on religious topics in how I say something. Now in straight politics, I'll offend the shit out of anyone. But religion hits too close to home so even when I hear creationist stuff, I tread lightly and let others see it for what it is. 
I am pretty vocal about my atheism, mainly cos sooo many of my fb friends are very Christian and republican, and expect me to share in those ideals.
I am vocal about my views on a specific subject.  I don't find the need to bring up my atheism.  This is not some movement for me.  It is not a religion and so I feel I need to talk about it all the time. If someone asks me a specific question about it I will speak on it.  If someone tries to convert me I will tell them I am not interested.  I don't get people's need to "evangelize" about atheism.
If you had been the victim of or witness to some of the incredible discrimination and abuse I have suffered and witnessed, then you would not say that.  Perhaps you believe that we "belong" in the closet and have no right to complain about being mistreated.  Perhaps you are in a good situation and don't feel empathy for atheists who don't share your good fortune.  Clearly, however, you don't really care about the fate of humanity.
I don't believe anyone belongs in a closet, but i don't have to put my atheist views out there for every single thing. Yes you fight discrimination.

I'm sorry for your loss of your friend but at least it is a good sign that intelligence is poking its tender head into your Facebook.  

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Devlin Cuite 9 seconds ago. 135 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.