Here is a story on CNN today, "Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism"

So, how does one go from reason and rationality to superstitious nonsense? I know that there are some atheists who are only atheist through not reason and rationality but rather from "hating god" because of something that had happened to them. I term these atheists as fake atheists. But someone commented on the site that in her blog that she was raised in a non-faith household (I am not sure if this is true, but for the sake of argument that it is true) - how the hell does one get brainwashed to go from reason and rationality to superstition and irrationality?

Tags: Atheism, Catholicism, Christianity, religion

Views: 1052

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Despite the intellectual confidence an atheist adheres to in the 'God or No God' arena, the fact of the matter is that most human beings are afraid of their own mortality. Their ego drives them to be dissatisfied with how finite their life is; plain and simple. They cling to the promise that its not over when its over.. & the only way to do that is to reject atheism.. I don't understand going to the catholic side of the playground.. BUT.. to each his own, I guess.. ;-)

Being a word-smith, I enjoy any word I choose a la moment and it was yesterday that the shit hit the fan for me...a friend texted her excitement and used the word "amen" several times...when I texted back I finished with the word "amen" that for me is simply another term for "so be it" or "so mote it be" but she texted back all enthusiastic because she had never heard me say amen before then she promptly tells me to go listen to some christian song on youtube.  I've been in a funk ever since because I don't want to jeopardize my friendship and I will not sacrifice my integrity by playing religious games.  What I find even more ironic is that the battle against corruption we face in our little desert town of Quartzsite, Arizona has our lead warrior being the town attorney who is also an athiest.  Nobody's banging on his psyche trying to convert him cuz they are too busy being grateful for his legal knowledge and moral strength.  But because I am a free-lance writer with the website http://quartzsitearizonatruthtalkers.com they take issue with me using bible passages to better help them understand...wow, would a hispanic get upset if I tried to speak Spanish to better relate?  NO!  Religious people appear to practice the least amount of morality what with their relentless judgments and mental blinders.  Well, I shall continue to draw from whatever resources paint the picture of truth and I will remember the rule of impeccability and sacrifice...being true to myself comes with a price and that's where the "brave and difficult" comes into play.  Hey, these people killed their own Christ and things appear to be worse 2012 years later.

What I find so amazing is that my atheism has opened the doors to other worlds; the out-of-body experiences and other fantastic journeys that do not require a belief in god to enter into.  Sometimes I think that Christ would have made a great atheist...he just didn't have a support circle to help him see life without the guy in the sky...Today is a major shift for people willing to be brave enough to grow bigger in who they are...may athiests everywhere maximize their potential in reaching one another on every level and in every dimension.  When I look to the new moon as it shines amidst a desert sunset, I will give thanks to the free thinkers of the world.  You see, I love to worship...I worship my family, nature, and free thinkers everywhere! 

I fear mortality very much as well. But I am not going to jump in to believe in religion just to appease my fears of death.

According to Richard Bach in his book ILLUSIONS, "Dying is like diving into a deep lake on a hot day.  There's the shock of that sharp cold change, the pain of it for a second, and then accepting is a swim in reality."  Athiests swim in reality with every breath we take and therefore have the promise of reality to come.

I am intensely grateful that I raised my children under my atheist wing...yes, they are free thinkers who must accept the brave and difficult task of responding to external expectation when it crosses their path and nobody can fool them for very long because their roots are in truth.

Hygeia, where the hell do you get your weed from sister?

Are you suggesting that my thoughts must be derived from thc?  This old hippie wonders what is the true meaning behind your question.  One thing I know for sure...when I need inspiration and guidance, this thinkatheist website satisfies my soul in no time flat...just since returning yesterday to this sanctuary of free thinkers my blood is flowing again, I have picked up my guitar and sang loud and crisp, I have pulled my yoga mat out, and the funk I was in is nowhere to be found.  Y'all are my weed and for that I am most grateful.

I would love to be in contact with a being who loves me and cherishes me and only wants me to bring others to him in order to experience that same love.

I would love to alter both time and space by uttering incantations and petitions to my master who has no problem crafting the cosmos to my will.

But then I read one sentence from Dawkins and poof, its back to reality

Its not about being rational, its about being emotional. And when you get the mix wrong between the two it can lead to the very irrational need for acceptance, or to beat loneliness, or whatever emotive reason.

@Helena - I was once drawn to Catholicism while dating a Catholic girl, having nothing to do with the religious aspect, but because of the sense of belonging to something.

Fortunately, we split up and the spell was broken, which reminds me of an old Irish poem:

Ah, while I was in love with you,
Then I was clean and brave,
And miles around, the wonder grew,
How well I did behave --
But now the fancy passes by,
Soon nothing will remain,
And miles around the folks'll say,
I'm quite meself again!

Wow, you are so right...how irrational it is to need acceptance, especially to need acceptance by people whose lives and beliefs are in no way aligned with ourselves.  My frustration at being misunderstood by christians in my community leaves me with a feeling of loneliness but then, is it really loneliness?  I think about the book Jonathan Livingston Seagull and how when he was outcast by the flock and flying alone in skies far above, his feelings of frustration were not out of loneliness but that his fellow gulls could not enjoy the freedom that he knew.

Thank you for reminding me of just how irrational it is to yearn for acceptance from people I in no way envy in the first place.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service