Here is a story on CNN today, "Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism"

So, how does one go from reason and rationality to superstitious nonsense? I know that there are some atheists who are only atheist through not reason and rationality but rather from "hating god" because of something that had happened to them. I term these atheists as fake atheists. But someone commented on the site that in her blog that she was raised in a non-faith household (I am not sure if this is true, but for the sake of argument that it is true) - how the hell does one get brainwashed to go from reason and rationality to superstition and irrationality?

Tags: Atheism, Catholicism, Christianity, religion

Views: 1058

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am saddened by people whose spiritual energy is tied up with converting me.  Religious bullying and manipulation destroys camaraderie.  I am so content with my chosen path that is devoid of hypocrisy...I love the moon, I see the stars, I see everything that religious folks do not comprehend...I worship the real while they accuse me of being in the dark.  There is so much more to life without the limitations that accompany religous thought.  I feel like Jonathon Livingston Seagull...

@Hygeia - I'll bet that few have read that book, it was very touching.

I once lived for a time on a plateau between Winslow and Flagstaff - beautiful country, Arizona.

I've read that - thanks for reminding me.  Another one by the same author, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah is one of the books that have influenced me the most in my life.  I think it's time to read it again.  I keep giving away my copies of it though!

Another book that really makes me think is the 7th in the Chronicles of Narnia series, The Last Battle.  In that book, a bunch of dwarfs are said to be in the real Narnia after Aslan brings the Narnia they have known to an end.  The dwarfs can't see where they are, and think they are still in a stable.  I imagine this is how religious people view us - that we are in paradise, or have access to it, but simply won't or can't see it.  

But the catch is the characters actually got to touch, hear, and see Aslan before they had any clue what following him would entail.  If I had a huge lion talking to me and moving me from world to world at his whim, I'd believe.  As it is, I refuse to be like the dwarfs.  I will see the paradise anyway, right here, right now.

Oh yes, this is paradise here and now...the new moon shines as it slowly reaches the mountains where the desert sun will soon set and the birds are singing their final song for today.  For the umpteenth time I gave my copy of ILLUSIONS away as a gift last week then suddenly needed it for that quote today; good thing I was in the library at the time - went straight to it and slipped it gingerly from its best friend Jonathan Livingston Seagull for just a little while...looks like I better keep my eyes open for another copy to keep until I give it away!

Here's a quote I recently found in my search for how to deal with christians trying to convert me simply because I use bible quotes at times in my writing...it's by a professor of psychology, Charles Tart regarding the true essence of anything that inspires..."Is it true?  Maybe, maybe not...but it's totally true in its ability to make you reflect on the deepest questions of life."

That's why I love Richard Bach's books so much - they make me think deeply and I have read them repeatedly for many decades.  They are pleasant reading and don't require much time to get from cover to cover.  I'm glad you know and love these books, it's a pleasure flying these skies with you!

Ever been kissed on the cheek, with unconditional love, by a child? I have, and that's all the paradise I'll ever need --

Three hours ago, when you wrote this great truth, I was staring up at the moon with the word "paradise" floating through my mind and in that moment my three year old granddaughter came up to me and kissed me on the cheek and together we watched the shooting star.  Heaven on earth, step right up folks!!!

I have my moments --

Leah Libresco?

1. First of all, Ive never heard of this so called "prominent" atheist.
2. Second of all, she was a blogger on patheos.com, "Hosting the Conversation On Faith". What kind of supposedly outspoken atheist would blog on this site? Thats like being Colmes next to Hannity on Fox. That would make her a token atheist on a Catholic site. I smell hoax, or conversion via Catholic dick (her husband is Catholic).

3. While I've never been automatically skeptical of conversions from atheism to theism (technically, we've all at one point not believed before we were convinced), I have always been extremely skeptical of thought-out atheism by reason converting to theism. Even if its true, this is merely one of very few occasions, purposely highlighted to make it look like this is the exception & not the rule in order to offset the real trend of the conversion going the other way around.

Humans are story tellers who teach goodness through sharing, but religion forces supremist mentality and, yes, we all start out being skeptical of what our instincts know to be lies and then comes the shame, guilt, and fear forced upon the skeptical.  Athiests are mental survivors and our biggest challenge is how to function amidst the constant attempt by religious to convert us.  Right now I am battling evil forces in our little desert town of Quartzsite, Arizona going even so far as to use biblical scripture to speak the language of those I fight for, but instead of appreciating my protective energy they instead call me a hypocrite for speaking their language which further fuels their determination to convert me.  They do not comprehend that a writer draws from whatever resources fit the story of truth that needs to be told.  My website is http://quartzsitearizonatruthtalkers.com and I will not back down from stopping the attempted hostile take-over of our town by the mean people we battle yet now I am battling two forces:  the corrupt element AND those I fight for who spend more energy trying to convert me than joining me full-on to save our town...any advise from the free thinkers of the world?

Well said, @88Keyz.

“I had one thing that I was most certain of, which is that morality is something we have a duty to,” Libresco told CNN in an interview this week, a small cross dangling from her neck. “And it is external from us. And when push came to shove, that is the belief I wouldn’t let go of. And that is something I can’t prove.”

That's how. She explains that her belief in morals as external, quasi-Platonic forms, led to them being identified as God. What this has to do with Catholicism, I do not know however. It seems like a stretch to me. And it is her ex-boyfriend who's Catholic. She's not married so far as I know. 

Somebody dropped the other "o" in god and that's how we fell from grace...one does not need religion to be good, one must simply be good.  How ironic that most if not all wars are fought in the name of god...one little old "o" left out of the equation changed the whole human formula.

Morality is simply compassion and generosity...with these two virtues at the helm we sail over the ocean of goodness!

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service