Here is a story on CNN today, "Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism"

So, how does one go from reason and rationality to superstitious nonsense? I know that there are some atheists who are only atheist through not reason and rationality but rather from "hating god" because of something that had happened to them. I term these atheists as fake atheists. But someone commented on the site that in her blog that she was raised in a non-faith household (I am not sure if this is true, but for the sake of argument that it is true) - how the hell does one get brainwashed to go from reason and rationality to superstition and irrationality?

Tags: Atheism, Catholicism, Christianity, religion

Views: 1052

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's a lot of religious blogs on the site. One section is reserved for atheism.

If they pay you, you can say anything. I think it is propaganda.

I don't think it's that. Let's not start making up our own statements of irrationality.

Easy, you have to be stupid and weak in mind to begin with. Not all atheists are unshakeable and smart.

Don't know much about this particular case. Dont underestimate the power of personal experience, the power of the holy spirit, the calling or whatever. Even someone as smart as Lane Craig I think admits that this underpins everything, not his arguments.

I can't answer that. I know that the son of Madilyn Murray OHair, the atheist lady responsible for getting prayer removed from public schools, became a minister. In his case, I expect rebellion drove him in the opposite direction from which he was raised.

Some people need the comfort blanket of religion, the same way some people need alcohol or crystal meth.

Desperation and self-loathing, that's how.

I think that it's important to remember as atheists that religiousness is a very positive thing for many people and is personally linked to a sense of redemption and meaning.

How do I respond to religion pushers?

Therein lies the paradox...they think I have faith in nonsense...I follow the phases of a moon we can all see but they want me to believe that their god made the moon and you and me.  Countless religions argue over the act of creation while truth stands firm in that we all, every single one of us descended from the body of a woman...the only true god is called mama

Religion pushers at the door can be asked to leave :)

@Keith J - Why in the WORLD would you want to do that, when you can have so much FUN with them? I don't know about you, but I don't get that many playmates!

My favorites are Jehova's Witlesses!

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 15 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service