How do you all handle creationists?  The people that believe God put humans on earth only  10,000 years ago.   I don't understand HOW they can dismiss all evidence contrary to that and what to say to show them they are idiots.

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would say my mother is one of those who lacks the capacity to understand. I've never met anyone so illogical in my life. It's maddening when I try to engage her about this stuff. There seems to be NO common ground for us to stand on in order to have a conversation about Evolution or the age of the earth.

We all know that, within a margin of error (and depending on certain object's gravitational pull), light moves at a certain speed. The speed at which it moves indicates the age of the earth! But then she pulls out some "theory" that the speed of light is "decaying"... as if that proves anything anyway. It would mean earth is OLDER than we previously thought. The point is, they will not be backed into a corner by any commonly accepted, verifiable FACT.

oh I know - it's as if they don't understand and don't care - they just wait for ken ham to make up some nonsensical claim and then they all say "see, what about that mr. smartie pants evolutionist" without even understanding it themselves.  They simply believe the person they want to believe.  It's pitiful really - it's willful doxastic volunteerism.   They actually subordinate their cognitive abilities to their emotions because it feels good.

I love talking to creationists.

I ask them innocent sounding questions to see what the silliest answer will be.

“Why are the Lemurs only in Madagascar and nowhere else?

Wasn’t Noah great the way he was able to drop them all off there before he went to Australia to drop off all the kangaroos.  

Why did he not put any penguins in the Arctic - was it because he put all the polar bears there? He was so good to drop of all the flightless birds on all the islands around the world.

That means Noah knew the world was round. Whoa!! Noah was so organised. Well I suppose he would be as god gave him over 120 years notice to get everything ready.

Please come back I am being serious – I really need these answers.

He really loved the beetles – (no not the band ha ha) – the 250,000 + species that he had to collect and 2 of each!!

Whoa!! I wonder if he had any health and Safety issues with the 120 or so species of woodpecker. I mean 240 breeding pairs of woodpecker on a wooden boat – was not that a risk to whole of human and animal kind?

So Turkey is the real cradle of civilisation. Please come back I am only starting with the questions. On which deck did he keep the dogs?.........”

LOL Love it! I have never met someone who is a creationist, I actually hope to someday lmao
HAHA! Those are beautiful questions that I will need to remember the next time my sister corners me.
I don't handle them. I don't have any association with them at all if I learn that. One may say 'why discriminate someone for their beliefs', but to actually believe the world is only 6-10,000 years old is a personality problem as well-- it means somebody I associate with is an idiot with faulty logic, and I can't be a part of that. It's not a legitimate belief.

Unfortunately I happen to live with one at school... everything is, God this, Jesus that, .... drives me nuts... we used to debate about this all the time (I kicked his behind every time lol), until he sent me an email one day that said, to him, was 'proof' that God and Jesus existed. I sent him this response (my 'friend's' name is Will, and he is from Cameroon, which was subjugated by the French in the 1800's):

Willy I would encourage you to examine this argument. I don't think ANY professor of philosophy would EVER say that there is such thing as RIGHT OR WRONG. This is another great dialectic prestidigitation intended to
"renew your faith" in your "God" that somehow manages to elude and claim
immunity all scientific methods and philosophical thought processes.
It's completely obvious that god doesn't exist; your mind has been so
warped and brainwashed throughout your short lifetime that you forget to
realize that if it were not for the very "evil" that you are trying to
purge the world of SUPPOSEDLY, you would not be a Christian today.
Religion has nothing to do with faith; it is a business, a culture, a
psychological system that at first was intended to instruct and control
uneducated people (early mankind); however, after the advent of the
Middle Ages and the first "Great Sensationalization" of Christianity
(courtesy of Emperor Constantine), religion came to dominate the affairs
of Europeans living in the the Dark Ages.Catholicism, in particular,
came to be the greatest controlling force on the continent, for almost
1500 years. The many splits in the Catholic Church, if you remember, are
not in place today because of people's kindness. Throughout history,
others have seen the corruption that has been flaunted in the face of
the people ESPECIALLY BY THE CATHOLIC CHURCH.

What is so funny though, in spite of the obvious flaws in your idealism, I find it absolutely laughable and pathetic on the part of
Catholics that they still hold their heads erect, not an OUNCE OF SHAME,
FOR THE ATROCITIES AND BRUTALITIES THAT HAVE HAPPENED BECAUSE OF
INSTIGATION OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. Case and point: the current sexual
abuse scandals eroding the reputation of the papacy. Even in spite of it
all, you have the audacity and the arrogance to send me this ridiculous
email about a hypothetical argument intended to make believers feel
better about themselves. Even in spite of the OBVIOUSLY disingenuous,
odious, and disgusting practices of sexual molestation, rape, abuse,
bribery, racketeering, and drug and sex trafficking, YOU STILL HOLD ONTO
THE IDEAL THAT GOD IS GOOD, AND ARE QUICK TO JUDGE SO-CALLED "LESSER
RELIGIONS" (greeks, romans, zoroastrianism), AND HOLD YOUR HEAD
ARROGANTLY HIGH, AS IF YOU COULD "DO NO WRONG". How can this be????? If
God has designated Churches to be "holy sites", then why is it that they
seem to foster environments where these MALICIOUS CRIMINAL PASTORS can
find refuge???? And the worst part, is that the current Pope, Benedict,
WAS THE LEADER OF THE ORGANIZATION RESPONSIBLE FOR PROSECUTING THESE
FUCK UPS that you call priests. But do you realize also that: A)
Ratzinger (Benedict before the papacy) KNEW ABOUT THESE MOLESTERS?? and
WORSE: B) THAT INSTEAD OF TRYING THESE CRIMINALS IN A COURT, HE
RELOCATED THE PASTORS TO ANOTHER ARCHDIOCESE BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WISH TO
HAVE THE BAD PUBLICITY!!!! And yes, but you can make the argument that
the church "Forgives those who sin". BULLSHIT. Do you know how many
people would be in the church if Catholics didn't have the option to
"REPENT THEIR SINS"????? Catholicism would end up just like any of the
other THOUSANDS of dead religions that you are not aware of, since
Christianity and other world religions have eradicated them. ITS A
BUSINESS. Christians can repent for their sins, because 1) It makes you
feel better that you fucked up  and   2) It keeps revenue stream coming
into the Catholic Church's pockets. HOW CAN YOU BE SO BLIND????? WAKE
UP!!!! RELIGION IS USELESS!!!!

So then. In the future, please do not EVER send me any emails or texts of ANY SORT to proselytize your "Faith". Do not EVER speak to me
again about "God's Glory", when he has created an institution where
pedophiles and the worst brand of criminals can find refuge, BE
FORGIVEN, AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. Do not EVER try to tell me about
"The Gospel" or try to "Witness" to me. Please. I've had enough of this.
If you would like to do a good thing for humanity, KEEP YOUR RELIGION
TO YOURSELF AND DO NOT IMPOSE IT ON OTHERS, LIKE YOUR FORE BEARERS. I
guess history really does repeat itself. 

Ever since I said this to him, I haven't heard a word of dialogue in our apartment about Catholicism :]

I handle them all differently..Depends on the person I am dealing with.. Sometimes I ask a question with a question, just to see if they are capable of thinking, usually the answer is no..

Funny thing is my sister is a real smart kid. Was very book smart, 6 months ago she would have told you the earth was billions of years old. she becomes a pentecostal and starts doubting the facts she has learned? I mean how do you go from being having a high IQ to debunking it to the size of your shoe over night?? I have often wondered if they gave her some kind of crazy drug in the water there or something?? Surly the effects would have worn off though!

Honestly, I have yet to meet one of these people outside of the internet.  I'm beginning to think they're all Poes.

My girlfriend has a really amazing tool for handling this... take their logic and run with it.

They believe the Earth is 10,000 years old. Okay. Fine. Granted. Now, you have to find things on Earth that are older than 10,000 years. Not a fossil, but something they actually use every day. Perhaps something that takes hundreds of thousands of years to form... like oil. There's a reason we call it FOSSIL fuels. So, for a person to believe that the Earth is only 10,000 years old means they reject the very gas they put in their car to drive them to church.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service