The "serpent" seems to have played a pivotal role in the temptation of Adam, and received a curse from the LORD.

Genesis 3:14

And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

Over and over, snakes are used and abused.

Mark 16:18

They will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Yet, they were around way before any Jewish Tribe

Despite their curse I am happy that snakes seem to be doing just fine. I have a nest of racers living under my house right now..How do you feel about snakes?

Tags: Snakes

Views: 537

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We made these little rollers in Ceramics 101. A great way for lazy--I mean resourceful--students to apply texture to a large surface. 

I had no idea about the menorah. I would like to learn more about these connections.

How did snakes travel before they were cursed? did they walk, jump like a frog, fly i don't actualy get that biblical verse. Had snakes on the farm, just put them in a bucket with a broom and release them. Not so nice if you go to the bathroom at two in the morning and you almost step on it.

Yeah, I guess sea snakes really pulled a fast one..eat my dust

"and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life"

I guess they were lizards before they were snakes. Trouble is, if anything, snakes are a more successful tribe than lizards.

For some reason I am imagining a slinky.

RE: "How did snakes travel before they were cursed?"

By bus.

Love our (Aussie) pythons.  My son had a collection of five and looked after his babies very well.  He now has a human baby girl so pythons were returned to the breeder.....just in case!!  They were so gentle, although  their strength was apparent...they gave little sweeping kisses with the tongue.  The first one was aptly named Kingswood.  One escaped from its enclosure once and, being home alone, I had the task of returning him (I think it was Pudding) back into his home with phone instructions.  After that, I didn't feel worried about handling them.    

Snakes are fine as long as they are far far away from me! I think they are beautiful and creepy and/or horrifying at the same time.

I'd totally have one as a pet (they're pretty cute and I love how they move) except for the whole fangs, eating live food, and needing a reliable source of heat thing. Snakes are a-ok in my book. I used to be afraid of them. Spiders, snakes, and bats...but now I'm fine as long as we keep our distance!

I am the offical bat catcher at home if one gets into the house I have to catch and release them and I think they are so ugly I want to kiss them. I love bugs and snakes,just dont like the poisonous ones.

It can be fun to ask a Christian how Eve managed to have a conversation with a snake given the fact that they don't have ears. If they say they could have had "back then" I say "Oh, so you do accept Evolution"?

They usually just hiss at me....

RSS

Forum

What is "Rational thinking"?

Started by Roy Plisko in Physics, Astronomy, Cosmology. Last reply by Roy Plisko 2 minutes ago. 174 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 3 minutes ago. 43 Replies

What is the value of Atheism to humanity?

Started by Charles J Hunsinger in Religion and the Religious, Atheism and Atheists. Last reply by Charles J Hunsinger 47 minutes ago. 52 Replies

The Angelina Jolie Effect

Started by Belle Rose in Biology and Medicine. Last reply by Ari 4 hours ago. 2 Replies

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service