The "serpent" seems to have played a pivotal role in the temptation of Adam, and received a curse from the LORD.

Genesis 3:14

And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

Over and over, snakes are used and abused.

Mark 16:18

They will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Yet, they were around way before any Jewish Tribe

Despite their curse I am happy that snakes seem to be doing just fine. I have a nest of racers living under my house right now..How do you feel about snakes?

Tags: Snakes

Views: 541

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Snakes are just tails with faces

tails with faces and big pointy teeth! no sir, i don't like them.

Bella, yeah. that would be so much more interesting than a dog or cat to me.

I captured a beautiful Indigo snake and had it for years but now they are protected. When some people learned I had a snake, they wouldn't even come over my house anymore. I always wondered if it was because of the Bible. Snakes and atheists, we are cursed, LOL. Of course, snakes do take thousands of lives, but there are some that say there is a connection between lowered snake populations (due to a min-ice-age) and the incredibly fast spread of the Black Plague.

I am reading a book about the Black Plague, The Great Mortality.  I hadn't really ever thought of it before, but that scene in the Money Python movie where Eric Idle is walking up a street with a cart saying, "Bring out your dead." is not as much of a parody as I thought.  The introduction of the plague bacilli came at a time of incredibly rainy weather and famine in much of Europe.  The rats, and their fleas, thrived in the cesspools the human developments became.

@Diane - any idea where the term, "vaccination" originated? During the global smallpox epidemic, it was noted that milkmaids never contracted smallpox. On further investigation, it was discovered that cows contracted a sibling of Smallpox, known as cowpox, which was similar, but much less severe and definitely not deadly. Milkmaids, in their daily dealings with cows, all contracted the minor disease, cowpox, which protected them from smallpox - by injecting small amounts of dead cowpox bacteria, doctors were able to cause their patients to build an immunity to cowpox, which in turn, protected them from the deadlier smallpox. The Latin word - which has spilled over into Spanish - for cow, is, "vaca," thus, "vaca-cination."

(Church Lady: "Well, isn't that special --?")

I never knew that before.  You seem to have a more vast storehouse of facts like that than I do, and I am accused of knowing way too many useless tidbits!  Every fact is important to someone, though, so there can't be any extraneous pieces of information - it's all in the context and timing.  Impressive!

Garsh --!

I'm a storehouse of knowledge, too. Did you know that the waxing of the moon has nothing to do with unwanted body hair?

And when was the last time you waxed the moon? I wondered why it was so shiny.

So, when I go on VACAtion, I'm behaving like a cow?

I can't imagine you restricting yourself to just that one occasion --

Be careful that the one pet doesn't decide the other pet is food.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 3 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service