How do you deal with being inundated with religious suggestions, comments and dialogue on a daily basis?

I feel like since I finally identified myself as an atheist, I've seen countless facebook statuses/comments, forum posts, instagram pics etc full of religious passages or suggestions to "Praise Jesus/Allah" or have "God" in your life. I can't even read a self-help article without some reference to a bible scripture or assertion to have a relationship with "God".  

So, my fellow rational people, what keeps you sane? 

Tags: advice, atheist, church, discussion, god, people, religion, talks

Views: 637

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, my fellow rational people, what keeps you sane? 

Humor, my friend. Humor is the best part about being an atheist. It's like living your entire life in a stand-up comedy club. The difference is that the theist is the comedian and he has no idea he's telling jokes. That's what makes it so funny. No matter where you go, the next side-splitting joke is never far away.

- - -

“I find it almost comical how unbelievers will blame a God they don’t believe in, but they will not let evolution take the blame for amputees not being able to heal.” - Defender of Christianity

“I have never claimed God was proveable. But neither is evolution. If it is, grab yourself a monkey and evolve me a man.”Rom831

“With the upcomming trip to Mars. And Nasa wanting to find life on it, will make it so that everything will have to be rethinked and retheorized. Plans to replace evolution as the starting point for life have already been implied. Movies like: Mission to Mars pretty much showed what the theory was all about.”ikester7579

“I believe that the words of Jesus in other languages are what he said, but they are always translated into God’s heavenly language afterwards.”lukasaurus

“Anti-Creationists have been known to lie and misrepresent. They have also been known to spread those lies and misrepresentations.”Joe G

“Has anyone ever dealt with a demon that makes you constantly tired? Almost like “it” keeps you from doing anything for God or anyone?”ginzell

“I don’t believe that global warming is happening. I don’t believe that humans can destroy a globe that they didn’t create. Besides, after the entire history of the universe (only 6K years), how much damage could we have done?”Khristeeanos

“I would have a problem voting for any one who is not a Christian, regardless of the political party. I also consider a vote for a Democrat to be a vote against God. Democrats are the ones who want to take God out of everything. I am not saying all Republicans believe in God, but they are not trying to get Him out of America either.”HeadBangforJesus

“You have been brainwashed and can only think inside your scientific box.”Am

“For those that think the Bible has “fiction” in it….what part(s)? ”Dan

“We Christians have been laying low for too long, but we´re slowly being pushed into militancy by ” pseudo- scientists like yourselves. True, we did burn down all them “pagan” libraries 2000 years ago and the world was better off for it. Nothing wrong ´bout fresh starts.” The Ascetic Crusader

“I’m basically scoffing at the evolutionist idea of cavemen. I’m saying “Cavemen?! Hah! You think the Tower of Babel back there was made by cavemen?!?”Sayna

“Common sense is a stumbling block in the path to a democrat run America.”hayden

Q: Would you rather have a not so bright Christian leading the country, or a smart atheist?
A: I’ll go with the not so smart Christian. Atheist have no solid moral base to stand on – they change their idea’s of what is morally permissible with science or politics. This is due to a lack of objective truth (God) and no sense of ultimate justice for our wrong doings. No matter how smart the world thinks an atheist is, remember he is in reality, insane.Geocajun

Humor is the best part about being an atheist. It's like living your entire life in a stand-up comedy club. The difference is that the theist is the comedian and he has no idea he's telling jokes.

Best. Thing. EVAR.

And christmas becomes the funniest time of year...Special holiday music channels appear on my TV, decorating cookies becomes so very important, the maddening shopping crush begins, I feel like a living ATM. Santa knows what I am thinking. HoHoHo.

Yeah, so when do we get to start throwing the lead-filled tomatoes?

Humor really makes the world go round.

I'd like to add to the quotes.
Here is one from my brother in law, regarding the Sandy Hook shooting.
"We don't need less guns in the hands of criminals, we need more god in our schools!"

Ask your brother-in-law how much more gawd would be required to stop that speeding bullet? Morning prayer, scripture recital at recess, prayer at lunch, hymns at study hall?

The gawd would need to be at least as thick as ballistic jelly.... no idea how the kids are supposed to breathe though...

Ballistic jelly is of course used to show how well a hollowpoint bullet opens--and how far it travels--when it hits flesh.  In other words it's supposed to be about the same as flesh as far as its physical properties go.  So one would hope gawd is instead made of Kevlar.

The gawds I have seen portrayed to date seem to be made mostly of air, hot air at that.

That rather manifestly doesn't stop bullets before gravity takes care of them.  So, scant protection there!

Ed,

I've had many conversations with him, all to no avail. He is 40+ years old, and deeply rooted into his church and the community. The description I often use of him for people who do not know him is a Mexican Ned Flanders.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Philip Jarrett 17 minutes ago. 172 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.