How do you deal with being inundated with religious suggestions, comments and dialogue on a daily basis?

I feel like since I finally identified myself as an atheist, I've seen countless facebook statuses/comments, forum posts, instagram pics etc full of religious passages or suggestions to "Praise Jesus/Allah" or have "God" in your life. I can't even read a self-help article without some reference to a bible scripture or assertion to have a relationship with "God".  

So, my fellow rational people, what keeps you sane? 

Tags: advice, atheist, church, discussion, god, people, religion, talks

Views: 637

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Keep a stack of old Reader's Digest on board. The "Laughter is the Best Medicine" sections will give you the respite you desperately seek. 

I read yard and commercial signs. We of my favorites here, a laundromate and bank signs next tio each other, 'Money laundered while you wait!'

Mis spelled business signs 'enterance'.

Traffic signs:

'Dead End, no turn around'. This one could be equal to 'Stop do not enter'.

'Right lane ends', followed one second later by, 'Left lane ends'. This one could be equal to a 'Stop' sign'. 

How do you deal with being inundated with religious suggestions, comments and dialogue on a daily basis?

Mock them... openly and without mercy.

my fellow rational people, what keeps you sane?

The knowledge that, for now at least, the religious people are mostly just a minor annoyance to me.

I see that it's already been said here, but I was going to say that some humor is always a great way to handle these things...along with some confidence and being proud of your non-beliefs. I'm VERY proud of my non-beliefs and don't feel any embarrassment or shame whatsoever from how I feel. I've noticed that this usually makes people back off. I still get an occasional debate as a result, but I don't mind lol. 

I agree that it is vital to your wellbeing to be proud, or at least feel no shame, about being atheist.  If you treat yourself internally like you're just as "righteous" or upstanding as anyone else who holds a more tolerated worldview, it effects how you come off to others and how they treat you in return.  I think there's a line to be crossed with pride, though.  I've interacted with quite a few atheists who cross over into arrogance.

Being an artist who enjoys the fight. 

I'm currently making a film that expresses how its felt being an opinionated atheist. Its one of the best idea's I've ever had and its bringing me a lot of joy. 

I look forward to seeing it. When you release it, PLEASE let me know, I would love to view it. 

General apathy to the whole scheme. Focus on myself and my values, laugh whenever I can, and when I can't, I slaughter things in Skyrim.

Video games - The problem and solution to all of life's problems. 

If I can't be awesome in real life, I might as well pretend to be awesome out of it.

Escapism for the win.

I have learned to practice a little acceptance of the fact that some people are beyond helping.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Favorite movie or actor/actress.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 2 minutes ago. 1 Reply

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service