How do you deal with being inundated with religious suggestions, comments and dialogue on a daily basis?

I feel like since I finally identified myself as an atheist, I've seen countless facebook statuses/comments, forum posts, instagram pics etc full of religious passages or suggestions to "Praise Jesus/Allah" or have "God" in your life. I can't even read a self-help article without some reference to a bible scripture or assertion to have a relationship with "God".  

So, my fellow rational people, what keeps you sane? 

Tags: advice, atheist, church, discussion, god, people, religion, talks

Views: 652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I get to take a walk with my puppies. Putter in my shop and listen to NPR. Find a hard problem to work on that can drive all the crazy back. Purposely not listen to the religious TV channels! Write funny responses to TA. Its not all the hard actually....

Some of those quotes actually made me burst out in laughter. My fav that you mentioned was the one about the "scientific box". Lmao.

You're right though, humor definitely helps a lot. For some reason I've always felt guilty about laughing at people and their godly delusions. But at the same time, the way that they make such baseless assertions sometimes warrants nothing more than a good laugh. I think I just get annoyed by how it's so often shoved in my face by people who I once admired, but now I grow more and more detached from them and their nonsense. I just wish people would stop considering their faiths as "the truth" and taking the opportunity to proselytize every chance they get.

You're right though, humor definitely helps a lot. For some reason I've always felt guilty about laughing at people and their godly delusions.

Let's face it. Stupid is funny. And what's stupider than religion?

Hollywood creates fictional stupidity to make us laugh. But there's nothing funnier than genuine stupidity encountered in the wild. It's freshly stupid, rather than canned. It's stupid because they MEAN it, and that's why it's so funny.

Here's another round of theistic stand-up comedy for good measure. 

- - - 

DNA can never be proven. Evolutionists are obsessed with it because they always say ''chimps share 97% DNA with modern man'' etc. That's great, however you would then need to prove DNA is real.Asycthian

- - - 

The basics of visual perception is often overlooked. When we look at something what is actually going on? The emission theory states that the light emits (not a travelling speed) from our own eyes not from the object we look at. The intromission theory states the opposite. The emission theory is the most common sense, so i don't believe there is any speed of light. The 'Starlight Problem' has never been a problem for me and the YEC model. The earliest Church Fathers (2nd-4th century AD) who believed in emmision theory also had no problem with starlight and a young universe. - Cassiterides

- - - 

["The Hebrews crossed the 'sea of reeds'. Most Jews agree on this. After all, the first 5 books are theirs."] The first five books are theirs? Um, no. Moses was a Christian. Sorry. - prosperousindividual

- - - 

Gravity is a theory, not a proven fact. The effects of gravity can be explained by other theories. An example would be the acceleration theory which asserts the earth is actually moving 'upward' at a constant rate of 1g (9.8m/sec^2). This produces the same effect as "gravity". See there are different theories for the same phenomena - and none are facts, they are just theories.Cassiterides

- - - 

Mathematics is also great proof of God. How is it possible that 98 x 72 can be figured out by carrying a digit over the top? What if that didn't work? How would we multiply without calculators? If carrying over the one on top of the 9 did not work, how would we multiply? Seems awfully convenient to me that it "just happened" like that.Self-Mutation

- - - 

[Response to question about light being created on the first day but the sun being created on the fourth.] The sun isn't the only source of light you know? Think of a cloudly day, there's light coming from somewhere. -fancier_rmv04

- - - 

Q: If God created the world 6,000 years ago or so, why are stars millions of light years away? A: Brendon, what a question! Yes, we know from the dates God gives us in the Bible that He did create the whole universe about 6,000 years ago. When we hear the term light-year, we need to realize it is not a measure of time but a measure of distance, telling us how far away something is. Distant stars and galaxies might be millions of light-years away, but that doesn’t mean that it took millions of years for the light to get here, it just means it is really far away!  - Ken Ham

- - - 

I wonder if this "little fun of Halloween" has a little similarity to how the Nazi German military in WW II had a lot of fun killing millions of innocent civilians for it's few years of existence, until this fun ended for Nazi Germany by the end of the WW II war. Has anyone noticed any possible similarities of the Ghosts and Goblens of Halloween, and the secret police activites of a military dictatorship ? Both act in ghostly manners, and both do secret and unannounced horrible things to real human beings that the ghosts and goblens don't like. - KD7SIZ

- - - 

Critical thinking has to be TAUGHT to people. It is no different from religion being taught to others. Some people have never heard of critical thinking and logic. If it has to be taught, it is a religion. This is why Dawkins wants "critical thinking" in elementary schools. He wants to hook 'em away from God young.  - Self-Mutation

- - - 

There is a soft drink company, believe it may be Pepsi, that is using aborted baby cells to flavor pop. When you think they have hit bottom..look out..the bottom is still a ways to go.Mom2ten

- - - 

Climate Change is a religion and it's holy sacrament is Abortion.  - 4timedad

- - - 

[Pro-abstinence blog] When you play with fire, there is a 50/50 chance something will go wrong, and nine times out of ten it does.June Swenson

- - - 

Exactly how old is this big bang God of yours? Since your Satanic money loving scientists you worship keep changing the date of Big Bangs birth. By the way when is the second coming of big bang? Jesus never said in the bible I have to prove anything to you. All I have to do is love Jesus and my neighbor and my job is done. To bad your big bang does not teach atheists to love their neighbors as themselves. Tell me this since you beleive we evolved from a rock. If someone were to smash a stone with a sledgehammer, would you consider that murder?Heavens Janitor

GM this is more than hilarious! 

I love the one on gravity and light coming from other sources on a cloudy day. Do the people who say such things hear themselves, I mean, seriously you can't say something like this and not feel bad for being utterly stupid

Onyango:

They're all gems but the "abortion-flavored Pepsi" conspiracy theory is my personal favorite.

Do the people who say such things hear themselves, I mean, seriously you can't say something like this and not feel bad for being utterly stupid

My impression is that most of these folks are convinced they are dispensing wisdom. That's part of what makes this so funny!

Wtf is a "goblen"?

That last one brought my brain to a screeching halt.  I may have a concussion.

"Pray...that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [our military men and women] out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we are praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan." Do we need leaders who believe they are following God's plan when invading other nations, especially Muslim nations-Sarah Palin

Well of COURSE they are, Robert - Little George W sent them in there, didn't he?

"I trust God speaks through me."
-- George W. Bush --

Does having a 'God' to validate your every whim, and make it easier to be a facist war monger? Oh, sorry, I might be posting in the wrong place...;p)  

Humor, and a healthy smart-ass side.  I meet questions that seem sincere with friendly honesty, because I might be helping a doubter down the path to freedom.  I meet the judgmental types, and the baiters, with more of a debate strategy.  The Believer's Playbook is very thin, and very weak.

But on the other side of the funny-bone --

“Tell people there’s an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure.”

-- George Carlin --

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Kairan Nierde 34 minutes ago. 24 Replies

An awakening.....radical acceptance.....

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 2 hours ago. 2 Replies

Calling All Vaginas!

Started by Pope Beanie in Small Talk 4 hours ago. 0 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 6 hours ago. 4 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service