How do you deal with being inundated with religious suggestions, comments and dialogue on a daily basis?

I feel like since I finally identified myself as an atheist, I've seen countless facebook statuses/comments, forum posts, instagram pics etc full of religious passages or suggestions to "Praise Jesus/Allah" or have "God" in your life. I can't even read a self-help article without some reference to a bible scripture or assertion to have a relationship with "God".  

So, my fellow rational people, what keeps you sane? 

Tags: advice, atheist, church, discussion, god, people, religion, talks

Views: 657

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some of those quotes actually made me burst out in laughter. My fav that you mentioned was the one about the "scientific box". Lmao.

You're right though, humor definitely helps a lot. For some reason I've always felt guilty about laughing at people and their godly delusions. But at the same time, the way that they make such baseless assertions sometimes warrants nothing more than a good laugh. I think I just get annoyed by how it's so often shoved in my face by people who I once admired, but now I grow more and more detached from them and their nonsense. I just wish people would stop considering their faiths as "the truth" and taking the opportunity to proselytize every chance they get.

GM this is more than hilarious! 

I love the one on gravity and light coming from other sources on a cloudy day. Do the people who say such things hear themselves, I mean, seriously you can't say something like this and not feel bad for being utterly stupid

Wtf is a "goblen"?

That last one brought my brain to a screeching halt.  I may have a concussion.

"Pray...that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [our military men and women] out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we are praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan." Do we need leaders who believe they are following God's plan when invading other nations, especially Muslim nations-Sarah Palin

Well of COURSE they are, Robert - Little George W sent them in there, didn't he?

"I trust God speaks through me."
-- George W. Bush --

Does having a 'God' to validate your every whim, and make it easier to be a facist war monger? Oh, sorry, I might be posting in the wrong place...;p)  

Humor, and a healthy smart-ass side.  I meet questions that seem sincere with friendly honesty, because I might be helping a doubter down the path to freedom.  I meet the judgmental types, and the baiters, with more of a debate strategy.  The Believer's Playbook is very thin, and very weak.

But on the other side of the funny-bone --

“Tell people there’s an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure.”

-- George Carlin --

You sir, are being quoted on my blog. 

I don't use FB.

Shortly after creating an account on FB I realized that a large percentage of my acquaintances are religious nut jobs that found FB as a great way to proselytize. It drove me up the wall. TA is my alternative to FB.

In person I have answers. I don't mind sharing them. I think of it as a good review for me. When I feel the conversation is dragging on or getting ridiculous I casually change the subject.

I avoid self help that isn't helpful. Most of it is perfectly safe answers that are more likely to give a warm and fuzzy feeling than give a real solution to specific problems. Generic example: "Try being assertive". I put that into practice and soon realize this self help had no clue what kind of asshole I was dealing with. Also it doesn't do any good using scripture to make a point. It makes more sense to put it into modern terms as to not cause confusion or leave the point open to interpretation.

I always deal better with people when I am more relaxed and have less stress.

I agree with Gallup on the humor bit too. I try to keep my sense of humor at ready no matter how serious the situation. I might need it.

My best friend is a Christian, and a republican. I love him like I love no other person on this planet. We can discuss things with out becoming infuriated and walk away with love and respect for each other. Funny side note: The last conversation that we had about religion vs atheism he ended the conversation by saying "You're getting too good at this." We laughed. It's great to know that there are Christians like him out there.

Good luck with sanity though Reesie! I'm still trying to find a balance after years of religion in my life. I'm in the process of changing my behaviors in all aspects that christianity has affected -which is all aspects of my life. I replace a lot of things. I watch the magic sandwich show on sunday rather than attending church, I "follow" Atheists & scientists on twitter as a source for news as oppose to say watching Fox, I am social on TA rather than FB in concerns of social media, I study logic and reason as oppose to apologetics for a nonsensical religion, etc.

If I take the same route to work everyday and am accosted by people from the houses I pass, then it's worth looking into another route to work.   

I've taken a liking to the option of hiding people from the news feed. Saved me a lot of headaches since discovering that little feature. If I didn't use facebook to promote my art and interact with other artists/clients, I would have deleted it a long time ago. 

Oh yeah I know what you mean. I've been really active in trying to improve my productivity and alleviate self-doubt but I'm so often met with pieces of advice that involve "getting re-acquainted with your faith in God". Yeah, no. 

I feel I have to bite my tongue quite a bit offline. I have a parent who is a born-again Christian and the commentary he makes with such a matter-of-fact rhetoric with regards to "Jesus" and his power over this world is hard to digest. It takes every fiber of my being not to retort with something that challenges his claims whenever the subject is brought up, but I know that will never go over well. I'm lucky to have people who identify as Christians that never bring up anything regarding religion, but then it seems like everywhere else...there it is. 

Thank you! I'm definitely in that same process as well (never realized the religious implications of saying "bless you" after someone sneezes, I was always just taught that it was polite, ha!) I think the more I interact and gain knowledge in different aspects from this site, the easier it will be to handle the annoyances I often feel in regards to people spewing their beliefs constantly. Thanks for your response!

Pluto's blue haze

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 19 hours ago. 2 Replies

Ronda Rousey on cover of Aus. Men's Fitness magazine

Started by matt.clerke in Art. Last reply by Davis Goodman 19 minutes ago. 20 Replies

Bullying people into believing and not-believing.

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman on Monday. 9 Replies

Services we love!

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service