Posted this on Facebook with the text "No one can read that and not think that science is friggin' awesome," and got the following as a response. I don't know how to respond to this respectfully but informatively (I'm new at this) but I feel like I absolutely have to because this person frequently takes advantage of the "I'm a Christian so I can tell you EXACTLY how I feel but since you're an atheist, stfu!" crap.

"Very interesting, and beautiful! The complexity and awesomeness of science is so thorouhly amazing, that it always brings me back to the Creator of it all......God!! It couldnt just happen, No! It is immensely fantastic, and terrific, so it couldnt just be here...No! I love the beauty and how interesting it is, which always makes me want to be thankful, and I can only thank one Person...God! It all points us to Him! Thanks for hearing me share my piece! I appreciate science deeply! ♥"

I do find it ironic that the very short article even said that this is how life originated in our own system as well and yet she says that it couldn't happen without God. Anyone who believes the Bible cannot possibly "appreciate science." Argh.

Tags: bang, big, creationism, the

Views: 1274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was thinking this too! Neil DeGrasse Tyson had a pretty awesome/funny bit about "stupid design" but unfortunately I think it'd offend her. -.-

Strange how theists marvel at the beauty of the Universe that is revealed to us by science- which does not even consider any god as being an agent to cause these wonders. Yet when Science says Evolution is true or that the Earth is billions of years old these same theists will shake their bibles at them and do their best to associate Science with Atheism.

I agree! Or completely toss aside fact without even realizing it, as with this case.

Actually that girl is wrong. The Flying Spaghetti Monster is the only reason why her god can even claim a tiny gap in the human psyche. The FSM uses its celestial noodly appendages to manipulate her god, like the finest puppet master conceivable by the human mind. Silly girl she is.

Bahaha. :)

Aaaaaarrrggghhhhhh!  

well i may be able to say my dumb 2 cents since in new to this sort of thing but:: ever since my early education i have always gone to a christian based school. for my elementary and junior high school i was at an evangelical school in which it taught that god just made everything out of nothing (sounds like evolution which is what i thought it was) and that evolution was non-extant. but now going to a catholic school they teach more of evolution as a part of god and that god made evolution. so with this i can only think that this person says "appreciate science" they mean that as god creating the science.   

That's essentially what I told her; that she seemed to be using the words "science" and "nature" interchangeably, which is deceptive.

John Jon - here's a man who not only attended a Christian-based school, but went even further, toward a degree in theology - but that all changed:

William G. Dever is the son of a fundamentalist preacher. From a small Christian liberal arts college in Tennessee he went to a Protestant theological seminary that exposed him to "critical study" of the Bible, a study that at first he resisted. In 1960 it was on to Harvard and a doctorate in biblical theology. For thirty-five years he worked as an archaeologist, excavating in the Near East, and he is now professor of Near Eastern archaeology and anthropology at the University of Arizona. In his book What Did the Bible Writers Know and When Did They Know It he tells where scholarship regarding archaeology and the Bible has been in past decades and where it is now.
Dever writes that the central proposition of his book is very simple. "While the Hebrew Bible in its present, heavily edited form cannot be taken at face value as history in the modern sense, it nevertheless contains much history." He adds: "After a century of exhaustive investigation, all respectable archaeologists have given up hope of recovering any context that would make Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob credible 'historical figures." He writes of archaeological investigation of Moses and the Exodus as having been "discarded as a fruitless pursuit." He is not saying that he believes that the biblical Moses never existed. He is talking about what can be gathered from archaeological evidence.
About the historical Moses he writes:
…the overwhelming archaeological evidence today of largely indigenous origins for early Israel leaves no room for an exodus from Egypt or a 40-year pilgrimage through the Sinai wilderness. A Moses-like figure may have existed somewhere in southern Transjordan in the mid-late13th century B.C., where many scholars think the biblical traditions concerning the god Yahweh arose. But archaeology can do nothing to confirm such a figure as a historical personage, much less prove that he was the founder of later Israelite region.
About Leviticus and Numbers he writes that these are "clearly additions to the 'pre-history' by very late Priestly editorial hands, preoccupied with notions of ritual purity, themes of the 'promised land,' and other literary motifs that most modern readers will scarcely find edifying much less historical." Dever writes that "the whole 'Exodus-Conquest' cycle of stories must now be set aside as largely mythical, but in the proper sense of the term 'myth': perhaps 'historical fiction,' but tales told primarily to validate religious beliefs."

Just thought you might like to know that just because you were raised in it, doesn't mean you have to stay in it.

pax vobiscum,
archaeopteryx
www.in-His-own-image.com

archaeopteryx- thanks for sharing. I still dont know if there is a god or not, still being in high school there is this stage in my life that i just want there to be a god to help me out but the realistic sense comes to mind that it is all a lie but stories like yours is very realistic and interesting to read about thanks for sharing  

For what it's worth, JJ, I stood on a hilltop during a lightning storm at 13, and dared god to strike me dead. (Probably not the wisest thing I've ever done - standing on a hilltop in a lightning storm, god or no god, is STOOPID!#-o d'oh!)

"Me and you, Big Guy - give it your best shot!"

archaeopteryx: 1; god: 0 --

I'd either ignore her post or delete her post so I wouldn't have to look at it. Engaging with this type of person especially over a social network is typically unproductive. She's certainly not going to change her mind due to a Facebook conversation. If later she notices her post is gone I'd tell her that you'd prefer to keep your facebook page god free. Also, you could point out that she probably wouldn't like it if you started posting a bunch of stuff about atheism on her page.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service