Views: 2437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who says that I / we did?

I spent 18 months dangling on the edge of suicide.  In the end there were two people whose lives I couldn't justify ruining, and I believe in life after death too, so all three of us would have been in "hell" - mine the worst probably, that of hopeless remorse, and the betrayal, the breaking of those relationships.  Don't worry, everything's fine now, thanks to one of those people.  I'm just saying it to illustrate how I came to terms with death.  After that period, I'm not scared of much, and I feel better off for having gone through it. Death is not scary for me - as Hunter S Thompson (Fear & Loathing) said: "After that, who cares?" - what's scary is not getting done everything I want to get done.  It's definitely taught me to DO those things now, TELL that person you love them, tomorrow might never come, we're always just a blink away from death...

What do soldiers have to say?  They can live with it every day. 

I can't speak for everyone else but I'm not worried. If someone wants to go then let them go. If I found you on the top of a building I would only be worried about you landing on me. Nothing personal but you mean nothing to me. If someone were trying to kill you then I would probably intervene and save your ass because I believe that would be the right thing to do but if you want to go I would not get in your way.

I know, I just felt I should say that because people often seem to get unnecessarily concerned, when something like that is mentioned.  Many people can't handle it. 

& for the record, I can fully see and appreciate your point of view, but a suicidal person should always be prevented from "doing it" at all costs, by any (desperate) means necessary.  The reason is that it gives her/him a chance to recover.  Most people do recover wonderfully.  Without that chance, they've got no chance.  If you do everything in your living power and they do it anyway, there was nothing you could do - it's impossible to prevent someone who is determined, unless they are locked up, and some people still manage it then.  But the threat of being locked up may push someone into it - so - just do your best.  I have taken a man into my bed before, to sleep the night (with lots of clothes on).  In that case, the grandness of the gesture surprised and pleased him enough to hold off.  Extravagent grand gestures are great in this situation.  Prove you care by doing something extraordinary.  Reach out.  Listen to them.  Ask them to tell you their story of why they are depressed.  There is a lot we can do to break the spell they are under. 

"I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens." -Woody Allen

Me, my own death doesn't scare me. Enough trying to interpret the after life the before you are born bullshit. You can't and won't ever know it so stop. 
As what is so scary about death, to me it's not my own selfish death. It's the passing of every person you got used to knowing, and taking in consideration that every person you know and care for is destined to die, and probably before you, that is scary. 

Agreed. Death is only hard on the survivors.

By seeing people die around me, family, friends, i saw how life can be short. Then i told myself to make the best of everyday, enjoy what i have, without regrets, life has no expiration date written, so not to live on a fear that death will come. It's inevitable, so why live in fear and wait for it, live, is what i keep in mind, a simple word, a simple action, but with great results.

"The is just another path we all must take." - Gandalf

I think it is very strange, that we fear something that natural, something that is inevitable. I am not afraid of death, not at all. However, our fear of death was an evolutionary advantage. All primates or actually higher developed animals who weren't afraid of death died through natural selection. Those who were afraid of death were able to pass on this gene to their descendants because they had the ability to live longer because they tried to escape death.

But, death is a great thing for evolution. It clears away the old and gives way for the new. It's what the circle of live is all about, without death nature as we know it wouldn't be possible. 
Have a happy life and accept, that it will over at some point.

"If you live your life each day as if it would be your last, some day you most certainly will be right." 

Personally death doesn't scare me. I'm rather looking forward to the big dirt nap someday. In my mind it's no different than passing out from drinking too much, except ya don't wake up with a hangover later. 

The only aspect I fear is what I leave behind. Don't want to die before my daughter is grown and my wife secure after I'm gone.

Simple: first, I accepted it as inevitable.  Second, I assumed it would be a lot like it was before I was born - very restful.

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 6 hours ago. 3 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 17 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 17 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service