Were you always one or were you once a believer and how did you become atheist?  

I know this is a common, rather overdone question, but what I want to know is what was the turning point for you if you were once a believer?  

I was never a strong believer, more like a follower. The bible had no real influence on me; I always felt it was mostly symbolic, anyway.   Nevertheless,   I had the programming.   God was a part of my psyche.   I spoke to him all day long.   it was like having an invisible friend who was always there.

Then my daughter came home from college and began to speak to me about her atheism.   We had open discussions.   I examined my own beliefs and began to realize that they were based only upon what had  been taught to me and tried to figure out why I was so reluctant to challenge them.   I couldn't let go of god but I didn't know why.  

The turning point for me was realizing that guilt was the only thing that kept me believing.   I was brought up to fear hell, brought up to fear god's wrath. My daughter explained to me that it was a built in, practically fool proof  system of keeping people in the fold.   If you refuse to open your eyes out of fear,  you can never escape.  Intellectually, I knew she was right but letting go was still difficult.   I continued to investigate the sources of my beliefs; looking for some concrete reasons for it to be true, beyond what the nuns taught me as a child.   I could find nothing substantial.   I finally decided to reject the belief despite the frightening feelings that brought with it.   It was difficult at first and I felt lost and abandoned, but as time went on, I was ok with it.   Now I feel more than ok, I feel like a weight has been removed from my shoulders.

I look back and it seems incredible that I ever believed all that nonsense in the first place.   I remember questioning as a child and then having to try to rationalize what they told me to make it work.   Even when it didn't, I took it in and accepted it, until the lie became "truth".   Then I grew up and did the same to my children.  

It took my oldest to have the nerve break the chain.  I am very proud of her for trusting her own thinking and questioning authority.   She founded the atheist club in her university and its going strong for five years now with many members.  

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Although you're more open-minded than many, she was also bold to bring it up with you. Call me a coward, but I've avoided the conversation with my own parents because I know it wouldn't change anything...other than I'd be on the receiving end of a lot more pointless worrying, praying, and passive-aggressive jabs. (Besides, I've taken enough religious poison to last me the rest of my life. I'm no "militant" and am happy to deal with the finer points of fairies as rarely as possible.)

But as I was saying, she deserves even more props for speaking up and having the courage to hold up the mirror for others and not just herself.
I was indoctrinated in to a multi-denominational family and I was very devoted Baptist. Although I questioned the Bible, I never thought to question God. After I joined the Navy I was exposed to a wide variety of philosophical and theological concepts. I began reading everything I could get my hands on and began questioning my basic beliefs.
Some Christian on my ship kept asking me to go to church with him, so one day I accepted. That day I realized I didn’t believe any more. I felt this chasm between me and the thumpers who appeared to me to be deluded and somewhat blind.
I claimed agnosticism for a while as I wanted to be impartial and open to evidence, but it was ignorance to the specificity of the agnostic label.
It has been so liberating to be free from the fear of religion for over 20 years now.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Diane 6 minutes ago. 99 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service