I saw this on my FB news feed this morning. It is a post by Seth Andrews (The Thinking Atheist).

How often does this happen? Do any of you have similar issues after being "out" for several years like Seth? You'd think people would learn to live with it after a few years.

Views: 429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree it is a form of mental illness.

I expect that such a behavior would reduce the survival of theist off-spring, but might also crystalize the independence of thought and practical action in thoughs that survive. Rejection, while painful, can also motivate, the mother of invention and independence. Poor theists, they really could have taken over the world.... 

I escaped from my dysfunctional family to live a dysfunctional life all on my own when I was 18. I'm married with children, but except for a brother I never talk to, I'm without any of my family. I've been a loner most of my life. So it's been pretty easy for me to be whomever I wanted without disappointing the folks. 
But I can imagine hearing such a thing from your father can be very hurtful. I really wish families weren't torn apart by the separating prejudice of religion just like the world is.
I sympathize with Mr. Andrews, and hope he's strong enough to not let it get him down. 

Some of these religious theists are down right pathetic 

I was nervous about telling my dad I'm atheist. But he's cool with it. His brother and him are the only two believers in the family. They've NEVER read the bible, and the real kicker is my uncle's gay.

Big no-no in the bible.

Seth's father is a Christian, responding according to the command of Jesus himself and the Christian gospel. Except that his father took part in Seth's wickedness by giving him the "Sorry, son" greeting.

------------ 

"And whoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when you depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet." - Jesus of Nazareth (God incarnate), Mathew 10:14

"For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist. Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what you have worked for, but may win a full reward. Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works." - 2 John 1:7-11

I expect this is where christians find a way to do 'false witness' against some one that does not hold their beliefs, burn a poor woman at the stake, take the property of a 'witch', or maybe even ignore the evidence of their own minds! 

RSS

Forum

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Heather Spoonheim 18 hours ago. 13 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Virgil yesterday. 65 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose yesterday. 71 Replies

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service