Greetings and salutations from the Empire!

In a docu I watched a while ago they read random horoscopes to random people and 90% of them thought it applied to their life.

I know the vast majority of you folks will share my views on horoscopes and other kinds of superstitious voodoo nonsense, but what I am curious about is what do you think about other skeptics and non believers who believe (and some quite strongly) in horoscopes, or ghosts or whatever.

Is it just another form of religious belief? After all, they believe in something supernatural that has no evidence supporting it.

Sound off in the comments.

Sorry for the hastily written post, I am interested in your opinions but too busy to phrase this better.

Views: 1224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I found one by searching for "free birth star chart"

http://astro.cafeastrology.com/cgi-bin/astro/natal

mine does seem to describe me better than general profiles based only on my sun-sign. you can judge for yourself about yours.

It was less accurate than competent cold reading. Compared to other written horoscopes which only account for my sign, it was somewhere in the middle. My mom (who from time to time looks at horoscopes for entertainment) sent me a recent one which fit quite well. Generally horoscopes don't fit me better than they would fit any other random person.

With regard to the site you linked, once we throw out the stuff I am too biased to judge for myself, the remainder was roughly 40% true, 50% false, and 10% not meaningful. Most of the statements were generic enough that they could be true or false depending on how selective my memory is. 

For instance, it said I am brave. I am fond of recalling instances where I acted bravely and less fond of recalling instances where I was an utter fucking coward. It'd be cool to think I am brave, but characteristically, I don't think it's meaningful to say I am brave, neutral, or cowardly. Incidentally, this is one I didn't count due to probable personal bias, but I also thing it's something just silly to throw into a horoscope. 

To fulfill my own curiosity, I attempted to compare my real star chart with a bogus one (I changed the day of month, hour, and year, but kept the same zodiac sign). I found that while language was incredibly ambiguous in both instances, it took a little more mental gymnastics to apply the incorrect chart's answers to my life and personality.

For each paragraph, I added 1 if the statement was accurate, 0 if it was inaccurate, and .5 if the level of ambiguity made it easily accurate or the statement was partially accurate and partially inaccurate. The two charts did not have the same amount of sections either. Since I made sure both were the same sign, I disregarded the main zodiac sign section.

My real star chart:

32.5 out of 41 Sections were accurate. And the additional relationships to the Sun's position were exceedingly accurate.

Bogus star chart with different year, date, and birth time (but same sign):

19.5 out of 48 Sections were accurate. And the additional relationships to the Sun's position were very wrong.

obviously, this isn't a big enough sample set to be statistically significant. And given how long winded some of those statements are, I doubt I would try this with a few more bogus charts. But I consider my curiosity sated for now.

A better experiment would be for you to fill out a questionaire and for dozens of strangers to rate how closely various start charts match your life based on the answers in your questionaire. Actually software program could probably be written to do this.

obviously, this isn't a big enough sample set to be statistically significant. And given how long winded some of those statements are, I doubt I would try this with a few more bogus charts. But I consider my curiosity sated for now.

yes, because if the sample wag big enough to warren calling it a scientific study, the results would show, as we would imagine, that astrology is irrefutably and unarguably total toss.

There are stupid atheists, too. Just not nearly as many as you find in the religions.

I have to wonder if the pressures of coming out atheist select for more intelligent and resourceful people coming out, while less high achieving people stay in the closet. I've heard the lgbt community experienced a similar trend until coming out became easier.

There's nothing harmless about horoscopes. I don't understand why "high quality" newspapers publish such crift. On the other hand...the advertising and commercials we watch and read in the same papers and magazines are equally non-harmless. Yet we get suckered by them as well. We are suckered by many things...just like new-agists and religious people are.

I think it's very similar to religious belief. I feel sorry for people who believe in these things because it's a lie that wastes their time, energy, and money. People invest a lot of faith and emotion in horoscopes, fortune telling, and other trappings of 'spiritualism.' It makes me sad. I take every opportunity to debunk horoscopes that I can.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 3 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service