Although I greatly admire Hitchen's writings on atheism, let's not forget what a horrendous ass-hat he really was when it came to the Iraq war, neoconism, and the deaths of civilians. Hitchens would never let anyone else slide (see Mother Theresa, Princess Diana) on their moral misgivings and hypocrisies just because they're dead. How do you reconcile celebrating him with these unforgivable lapses in moral judgement?

http://www.salon.com/2011/12/17/christohper_hitchens_and_the_protoc...

http://gawker.com/5868761/christopher-hitchens-unforgivable-mistake 

Views: 1310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I suppose under that line of thinking the same thing could be said of Hitler and Mein Kampf. He had his reasons.

Indeed, Hitler had many reasons for what he did, Mike.  None of those, however, involved something like taking action to save the lives of innocent Germans, about to be imprisoned or slaughtered by rampaging Jews.

Hitchens, on the other hand, by supporting the war did indirectly condone killing, but to be sure, it was the killing of a despot and his minions, who already had demonstrated their willingness to imprison, torture, gas and murder the innocents of their own nation over a period of decades that he had personally witnessed.

I would like to think you could find the ability to make a moral distinction between that, and the atrocities of the Third Reich.

Hitchins: "If you're actually certain that you're hitting only a concentration of enemy troops . . . then it's pretty good because those steel pellets will go straight through somebody and out the other side and through somebody else. And if they're bearing a Koran over their heart, it'll go straight through that, too. So they won't be able to say, "Ah, I was bearing a Koran over my heart and guess what, the missile stopped halfway through." No way, 'cause it'll go straight through that as well. They'll be dead, in other words."

"Cluster bombs are perhaps not good in themselves, but when they are dropped on identifiable concentrations of Taliban troops, they do have a heartening effect."

Juxtapose that with the reality which Hitchens undoubtedly knew that cluster bombs statistically were killing many more civilians that combatants and tell me about moral distinctions. Saddam was bad but read about what the Americans did in Fallujah. Hitchens was an unapologetic cheerleader far after everyone knew how corrupt and criminal the invasion was. Yes, I find these views of his morally repugnant. That said, his atheist stuff is really good.

Indeed, Hitler had many reasons for what he did, Mike.  None of those, however, involved something like taking action to save the lives of innocent Germans, about to be imprisoned or slaughtered by rampaging Jews.

Hitchens, on the other hand, by supporting the war did indirectly condone killing, but to be sure, it was the killing of a despot and his minions, who already had demonstrated their willingness to imprison, torture, gas and murder the innocents of their own nation over a period of decades that he had personally witnessed

That is a terribly unequal comparison. For starters, the Iraqi's were not on the verge of committing genocide against Americans, which is the inverse of the premise you'd might extend to Hitler to even the scales. And the idea that internal strife and suffering is justification, then I have to ask why Hitchens didn't make an even bigger case for war against North Korea.  Maybe he did, but I can;t recall him being as vocal about it as he was about Iraq.

"..the Iraqi's were not on the verge of committing genocide against Americans..."

Which is why the Bush administration had to resort to creating the illusion this was the case. I remember vividly the sudden boom in the duct tape trade by Americans. Three people died while sealing their house in fear of the impending Iraqi invasion. There was this giant mushroom cloud shot by Condoreezza Lies from her smoking gun. And there was endless, endless, endless tales of infinite amounts of weapons of mass destruction on hair-trigger alert, going to be dropped on us if Saddam Hussein felt either sickly or giddy or in case he lost a game of checkers with one of his sons.

Ugh!  Don't remind me! 

Actually, I wish I could forget. Sometimes.

Someone wrote:  "..the Iraqi's were not on the verge of committing genocide against Americans..."

Albert replied:  Which is why the Bush administration had to resort to creating the illusion this was the case.

@ Albert - Illusion, my ass hat. I for one, was terrified at what was pulled off on 911. On that day, there was a window of time where it seemed the world might end. It was one of the scariest days of my life.

But that's just me.

Since that has nothing to do with anything I'll take it as you just wanted to get that off your chest.

@ Albert - Ugh. Bad guy hit good guy, UGH.  Good guy hit bad guy back, UGH.  Hitchens on good guy side, UGH.

Does that make it any clearer for you?

No, it doesn't at all. And it still hasn't got anything to do with either the Americans never being on the verge of going extinct through an impending Iraqi invasion, never being threatened by an Iraqi attack of weapons of mass destruction, let alone a nuclear holocaust or any of the other lies being made up to so successfully instill war fever in the American public 2002-2003.

I hate to point out that neither had Iraq anything to do with 911 nor was it by any stretch of the imagination a genocide. So in your terminology I suppose I have to answer back that bad guy hit good guy, good guy puts blindfold on and starts hitting lots of people having nothing to do with it, Hitchens cheering him on. Ugh.

Does that make it any clearer to you?

lets not forget Hitch wanted a sovereign Kurdistan state.That's why he wore that little lapel badge

Being a freethinker does not exclude you from the possibility of being a ass-hat.  Not saying he was or wasn't. Just pointing out the flaw in that premise. Often times, ass-hattery is in the eye of the beholder.

RSS

Forum

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 3 hours ago. 40 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 3 hours ago. 5 Replies

I don't know what to say

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ward Cressin 8 hours ago. 2 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service