Although I greatly admire Hitchen's writings on atheism, let's not forget what a horrendous ass-hat he really was when it came to the Iraq war, neoconism, and the deaths of civilians. Hitchens would never let anyone else slide (see Mother Theresa, Princess Diana) on their moral misgivings and hypocrisies just because they're dead. How do you reconcile celebrating him with these unforgivable lapses in moral judgement?

http://www.salon.com/2011/12/17/christohper_hitchens_and_the_protoc...

http://gawker.com/5868761/christopher-hitchens-unforgivable-mistake 

Views: 1298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The stirring eloquence with which Hitchens expounded on atheism should not cloud judgments on his moral failings.  Don't forget: Karl Rove is an atheist.  And Hitler was a Catholic. 

And the pope was a Nazi

Oh wait a minute, come on now, not officially..

Umm... card carrying member of the party? I doubt it. I think he was in the Hitler youth as a kid. I WAS a Christian in my youth. Do I have to carry that on my back the rest of my life?

Oh this pope, I thought Eugenio Pacelli.

Come to think of it, there is apparently in a real sense stability in the church. It remains over centuries at least with remarkable consistency an international organization of pedophiles with their own orphanages led by a mentally deteriorating geezer with fascist sympathies.

If this seems like a cheap shot, it is because I cannot make it look any more respectable than it is.

I WAS a Christian in my youth

Oh, you weren't a REAL Christian.

;)

Condemning Hitchens' stance on the Iraq war from the comfort of one's home is easy. But Hitch himself travelled extensively in Iraq and saw Hussein's atrocities first hand. He had many Iraqi friends and heard their tales. You may choose to disagree with his conclusion, but his decision to support the war was not made in a vacuum. He had more direct personal information about the country than most of the US administration.

Like myself, I'm sure Hitch lamented how incompetently Bush and his team executed the occupation. But that doesn't negate the entirely reasonable conclusion that Saddam had to go.

Also, he stated he didn't think waterboarding was really torture and volunteered to be waterboarded, then after experiencing it he changed his mind, so he could be intellectually dishonest. We need to stop condemning people merely because they disagree with our views. They may have their reasons for believing what they believe.

@ Dallas - That was a a fascinating and disturbing article (your Hitchens link). Thank you.

How on earth do Christians seem to accept that their supposedly existing, loving, just, all-powerful, all-knowing God, created/allowed (whatever term they like to use) this terrible world?

I know they say it is because of free will, but if that is the case, I wonder why it is, I do not recall this God of theirs ever asking me what my choice was about anything?

I don't know a whole lot about Hitchens' support for the war but I am going to read up on it. This thread has piqued my interest in the matter.

The Difference being Mr Hitchens would be fine with that criticism and would likely be open to listening to your position while defending his own position with an intellectually honest report.

u should know that he was a free-thinker not an ass-hat, and did not give crap what liberals or conservatives thought, ass-hat  might describe u better as u mostly ascribe to liberal side from what i read in ur post and don't want to take on the establishment. living in iraq or having ur relatives killed with chemical weapons, u would have had other idea about the war. exposing mother teresa was an eye-opener for a lot of people in the world, who would only keep her in the highest esteem. he had his flaws and accepted them but if u didn't like what he thought or said or could not understand where he was coming from on a particular issue than that is a flaw in ur part not his. 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service