I saw this on yahoo news, it made me ask the question, has this come up in the US courts ? I am surprised by the UK courts ruling here.

your thoughts.

take care

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100210/tsc-oukoe-uk-britain-hindu-pyr...

A devout Hindu declared himself "overjoyed" on Wednesday after winning a court fight to be allowed to be cremated in Britain on an open-air funeral pyre. Skip related content

Spiritual healer Davender Ghai, 71, was granted his last wish by the Court of Appeal which ruled the controversial ceremony could be carried out
without a change in the law.

But the judges ruled in his favour only after Ghai agreed that the pyre would be surrounded by walls and a roof with an opening, the Press Association domestic news agency
reported.

Ghai believes that a pyre is essential to "a good death" and for the release of his spirit into the afterlife.

He wants a permit for an open-air cremation site in a remote part of Northumberland in northern England.

Ghai was originally refused permission by the local authority in Newcastle and lost a legal challenge to that decision at the High Court last May.

British law prohibits the burning of human remains anywhere outside a crematorium and Newcastle council had further blocked his wish on the
grounds that it was impractical.

Jonathan Swift, representing the Ministry of Justice which opposed Ghai, said the law stipulated that cremations must be within a building which in this case meant a
structure bounded by walls with a roof.

He said what Ghai was proposing did not comply with the law which was there to protect "decorum and decency."

But the appeal judges disagreed, saying the Cremation Act was in place to ensure burnings were subject to uniform rules throughout the country
and executed in buildings which were appropriately equipped and away
from homes or roads.

The judges accepted Ghai was willing to be cremated within existing rules with his funeral pyre "enclosed in a structure." They ruled the government's definition of a building was
too narrow.

The decision could now set a precedent for the 560,000 Hindus living in Britain. Hindu national organisations, representing some 90 percent of Hindus in the UK, had backed the Ghai's
original High Court appeal.

Ghai said in a statement he was "overjoyed" by the ruling.

He added: "This case was truly a matter of life and death for me and today's verdict has breathed new life into an old man's dreams."

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't imagine it'd be that hard to arrange such a thing in a safe and sanitary manner. With a half million Hindus in Britain, perhaps this is a new business opportunity.

Personally, I'm hoping the Zoroastrians make a case here. I don't care too much about the religious aspects, but having my body eaten away by scavengers is sort of my ideal. Then again, it's not like I'll care what is done to my body after I die.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service