Hide your face and weep, if you dare to harm a child.

I am royally, supremely pissed off. George Zimmerman was acquitted on the grounds of self defense for shooting the UNARMED Trayvon Martin. Here's the story. Trayvon, 17, 158lbs, was walking down the street in the dark and in the rain. He's holding nothing but a bag of skittles and a bottle of tea. Should he have been there? Probably not,but it's not illegal. George Zimmerman, 28, 200lbs, and the head of the neighborhood watch, sees Trayvon and calls 911, to report a suspicious person. This is where George's responsibility ends. The cops are on the way, and George is in his own vehicle where he should have stayed. Then, with the 911 operator still on the line, George grabs his gun, gets out of his vehicle, follows Trayvon, confronts him, provokes him, and shoots him in the chest at near point blank range. He then has the audacity to claim that it was self defense.

Lets look at the facts, George is 200lbs, while Trayvon is 158lbs. George has a 40lb weight advantage. George also has a membership at a mixed martial arts gym, so presumably he is capable of defending himself without a gun. Trayvon is a black kid growing up in the south, so he's likely learned some hard truths about walking alone at night. It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to think that he might have panicked when he heard an angry voice yelling out at him in the dark and the rain. Trayvon wouldn't have been startled and wouldn't have attacked George had he stayed in his car and let the police deal with it, if it was indeed trayvon that threw the first punch. Even then, George shot and killed a 17 year old boy, still a child in the eyes of the law.

George Zimmerman initiated the confrontation, and pulled the trigger. THIS IS MURDER! You don't get to claim self defense if you are the one who started the fight. And it isn't self defense if you have a gun, and the other guy has A FUCKING BAG OF SKITTLES!!!!

I am disappointed. George Zimmerman is a child murderer, and they let him go, and gave him back his weapon. It is times like this that I am ashamed to live in this country, especially when certain people can claim that a man who shoots and kills an unarmed black child is a hero, that he did the right thing. No, I'm more than disappointed, I am disgusted.

I'm even more disgusted at the incompetence of the prosecution. Aparently, all it takes to get away with killing a child in this country is a prosecuter that's asleep at the wheel and a jury full of NRA Nutjobs, because who else would let and ASSHOLE like George FUCKING Zimmerman go.

Hide your face and weep if you dare to harm a child. ~Christopher Hitchens.

Tags: George Zimmerman, Trayvon Martin

Views: 776

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did you read the above link. I agree with it. Did that guy sound like he was glad that Trayvon is dead I haven't told you how you should FEEL about anything. How dare you put words in my mouth. What happened that night was stupid and tragic. I have been trying to argue about the FACTS in the case. You have stated that there is a recording of Zimmerman yelling and swearing at Martin at the start of the confrontation. I can find nothing about this recording. I have asked you to point me to some evidence of it and you haven't. On this forum if you state something as fact you should be prepared to BACK IT UP!  If your going to post an opinion you shouldn't get all bent out of shape if someone disagrees with you. You have every right to post your opinions (and guess what, SO DO I), but stating opinion as fact is wrong and STUPID. And one more thing you don't get to decide who posts what where. That is the moderators job.

The capias states, "the encounter between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin was ultimately avoidable by Zimmerman, if Zimmerman had remained in his vehicle and waited the arrival of law enforcement or conversely if he had identified himself to Martin as a concerned citizen and initiated dialog in an effort to dispel each party's concern". "There is no indication that Trayvon Martin was involved in any criminal activity at the time of the encounter."

This is the point I've been trying to make but you keep ignoring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin

Exactly. You don't put yourself into a situation where you'll probably have to kill someone and then pretend like you had no other choice.

Conversely, there's nothing to indicate Trayvon was doing anything wrong. There's no reason to think he would have fought with the police. If Zimmerman waited for the police instead of thinking he was the Lone Ranger there wouldn't have been any issue. But Shithead knew that somebody like that walking through his neighborhood must be a bad guy, and he was going to stop them one way or the other.

Even if Trayvon was a thug or was violent, if they waited for the cops he would still be alive and going through the court system, with an opportunity to change his ways and become a productive member of society. Cops arrest violent people all the time without killing them. No matter how you look at it, Trayvon should have had options other than "unconditional surrender to this total stranger following me" or "instant death".  

Yeah, I don't care any more. My attention has moved on and you don't interest me anymore.

According to the young woman who was on the phone with Trayvon, the kid was running an errand for his step brother who was hungry.

Martin followed him starting at the convenience store. Trayvon's friend told him it was probably a rapist. If it had been me, I would assume either one of three things was about to go down: I'm getting mugged, I'm getting raped, or I'm getting murdered by a psycho. 

When I was stalked, I managed to scare off the guy with a crazy look and some fast moves. I'm glad that asshole wasn't some wanna-be cop looking for trouble.

So, if Trayvon hadn't been startled, he wouldn't have attacked Zimmerman?  I am a female.  Females as a gender have to constantly be aware of their surroundings at all times as a general rule.  I have been startled before.  It did not cause me to attempt to bash anyone's head into concrete.  

This situation is unfortunate.  Two individuals were suspicious of one another, said words to each other that escalated into violence, and one of them ended up dead.  I am sad for the families of both men, but I remain a staunch believer in being able to defend oneself from mortal threats.  

And it wouldn't have happened had Zimmerman stayed in the car. He decided to start some shit himself, and Treyvon, who was a troubled kid, ended up dead.

It did not cause me to attempt to bash anyone's head into concrete.

And it certainly did not cause you to do so four minutes later.

If a black guy shot a white kid who was walking through his neighborhood because the white kid looked suspicious, we wouldn't have even heard about it. The black guy would get thrown in prison or executed and nobody would give it a second thought.

This is especially true in the south. I grew up in Mississippi, and I can tell you that the projects can be dangerous if you are fearful. If on the other hand, you act kind to people, something I've tested countless times walking through town in my youth, then you get kindness in return.

Zimmerman was basically spying on Trayvon, following him, and eventually got out to confront him. He'd better be glad this was a gated community in Florida, and not a ghetto in Mississippi. Because if he had started shit like that in my neighborhood, and killed a black kid... Police would have found two dead bodies. Naturally, nobody would have seen who got him. Neighborhoods like that stick together.

I have to say that I'm quite sick of this now. If you disagree with any point I've made, well, good for you. You can keep it to yourself. I made this thread because I was irrationally angry and pissed off. Was it self defense? Yes. That said, Was it Avoidable? Absolutely. Did George Zimmereman do ANYTHING to avoid a situation in which he may have to kill someone or at least get into a fight? No, in fact he did the opposite. He pursued Trayvon, conveniently telling the police to call him when they get there, rather than standing by. Zimmerman Wanted a fight. He wanted a confrontation. He even has a history of violence, including assaulting a police officer, and domestic violence against an ex girlfriend.

So was it self defense? Yes, after Zimmerman found out that a kid from the ghetto is a better fighter than him. Before that it was aggravated assault on a minor. And so it goes that he should have at least gotten manslaughter.

If you disagree, then good. That's your right. You also have the right to remain silent. I'm jut trying to get rid of the urge to vomit because of how angry this injustice makes me.

I'm jut trying to get rid of the urge to vomit because of how angry this injustice makes me.

You're not the only one. People have been gathering to Oakland, CA from surrounding cities, destroying storefront property at random, not even caring who owns the business. A lot of business owners are also outraged at the verdict, but the vandals don't stop to think about that, first. Destructive outrage gets attention, but doesn't propose any implementable solution.

It might not be justice, but the judge and jury followed the law. Perhaps someone intelligent can actually come up with a modification to law, or other (hopefully preventative) institutionalizable measure that can improve the system.

RSS

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service