For the past 6 years I've been living in the bible belt, attended a roman catholic high school (became a skeptic there around sophomore year) and most recently attended a private Presbyterian college (dunno why).

My parents and brother are all Christians (which I don't mind since they aren't in my face about being agnostic or skeptic or w/e). Now I'm moving to NY and can't wait cause the college is an engineering school (no religion XD).

This last year I was like 1 of 3 irreligious people that i personally knew of and for the past 6 years I don't think I met an atheist women my age. I dunno what else to say sept. that I got a lot of funny stories about living in the south. Ask me questions cause I'm kinda bored and I love questions :D

I'll end with one of my favorite quotes that has displayed some truth for me that I never got in the past 9 months at this school;

I have more respect for a man who lets me know where he stands, even if he's wrong. Than the one who comes up like an angel and is nothing but a devil.
~ Malcolm X

Tags: belt, bible, hi, introduction, new, skeptic

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Greetings.
Thank!
Welcome to the site
Thanks!
I grew up in Georgia (the US state, not the former soviet republic:-), so I know exactly where you're coming from. My wife and I live in Richmond VA now, which isn't much better (and often worse, if truth be told). I try to see it as bringIng a small beacon of reason and clear thinking to a region where there is scant evidence of either (at least as far as religion and theism are concerned). I know that sounds arrogant, but I simply see it as a fact, with no value judgment on my part.
Just as the hardest granite can be worn away by enough drops of water, I'd like to believe that the local granite of ignorance and closed-mindedness can eventually be eradicated if enough rationalists, myself included, establish residence within these uber-conservative (and superstitious) locales.
That's a good cause if I ever heard one! It's really hard as well, when ever I try to reason with people they like to try to argue in circular reasoning. When I tell them so, they get pissed off and say well that's your opinion. I found for the most part that people seem to enjoy living without progress down here. I don't understand. It's like when something isn't working, they don't try to fix it!
I'm new too, but welcome :)
thanks you too!

RSS

Forum

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 36 minutes ago. 1 Reply

Genesis 3 - Quality Propaganda

Started by Aiken Drums Sister in Politics 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 43 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Aiken Drums Sister 2 hours ago. 17 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service