I'm new to the site, at first I joined only to correct someone about Christian morality but I think I'll stay to see what some (not all) atheist think about everything. So yeah, I'm here to see the "culture" I guess and what are the trends in thought among at-least some atheist and when I decide I can, correct misunderstandings in Christian principle and I like the chat-room, so you might see me use it. Alright cool, thanks for reading and if you have any questions about the Christian faith, I'd be happy to answer em if I can.

Views: 1129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I sometimes feel like we're (TA members) vultures circling in the hot air of religion and waiting for a victim to expose themselves on the desert of logic and reason.

:^ )

Well, we were invited to ask questions weren't we?

Most atheists that used to be theists know that questions are often the first step to critical thinking and thus the liberation from the delusion of theism. As such, I think that most of the questions here are with good intent, these are mostly questions that people have asked themselves and others without ever receiving a satisfying (or coherent) answer.

But I get what you mean, of course. It is a kind of fitting description ;)

I don't have the television hooked up, so threads like these serve as my Maury Povich. Next up is "I ain't yo baby diety" followed by "Makeovers with Jesus: Cross-dressing edition".

Hi Israel, good to have you. I've got some questions for you too.

1) You quote the bible, how accurate is the Bible in regards to god's words?

2) If you're a fallible human, how would you know the answer to step 1 with any reasonable amount of certainty?

3) God is apparently the creator of everything, but you seem to think that you know what resides in god's mind, heart and thoughts, can you explain how you do that?

Apropos Dr. Grixis' first question:  which translation of the bible do you favor, Israel?

Welcome to the site Israel.  You should probably understand that several members are former theists who have studied the principles of the christian, and other, religions, and found them to be lacking in evidence and coherence.

Have fun. 

Hi there Israel,

Is it true that Christians and Atheists will rise from the dead and become immortal at some future day of judgement? Does that mean that all those that died during the last 2000 years are still in their graves or have some already been judged? I am asking because I hear many Christians talking about the dead already being in Heaven yet the Day of Judgement has not yet arrived? I have heard them say it is possible it could be soon. Anyway if they are not yet judged then where are their souls?

When you are praying do you have an actual conversation with your god. I mean do you hear his voice when you pray?  The ability to actually speak with the creator of the Universe must be amazing.  Has anyone ever said what his voice sounds like?  

I have often heard it said that your god has plans made for everyone. If he has set in motion a plan for Christians and everything that happens to them is by his will then why Christians pray to get him to change his mind. If you god allows a child to catch a disease it must be part of a bigger plan so why ask to cure the child?

Hey Israel, 

I could be wrong but I think a majority of folks here actually come from a christian background and many are extremely well-versed in it.    You will find that its not because of a lack of proper understanding of christian principles that has brought them to this place.  

If you are looking to 'save' people here because you think they don't have the 'proper' christian understanding or you think that they never really experienced the 'spirit'  then I think you might be barking up the wrong tree.   

You will find people here from almost every kind of background...some that may even echo your own.

Be prepared to 'step outside the box'.  Be prepared to question.....everything.  

Welcome to TA

You will find that its not because of a lack of proper understanding of christian principles that has brought them to this place.

This.

These idiot theists always think atheists are atheists because they just didn't know enough or just didn't know the truth about their particular dogma. Oh those poor atheists, if only someone told them what our religion is like, they wouldn't be atheists. Wrong. Atheists don't believe that shit precisely because most of the time they know a whole lot more about any given religion than it's own followers do.

I think, Wes, that the reason folks are being so gentle with Israel, rather than shredding him as we do most Christians who come here with barely concealed agendas, is because he has made it clear that he is NOT here to convert anyone, but only to clear up any misconceptions we may have about Christians.

He's obviously young, naive, and knows little more about his own religion than he's been told by people he trusts, and we can't fault him for that. Hopefully, while he's here, we can help him to clear up any misconceptions he's had about us.

I personally think it shows a great deal of courage, just coming here and exposing himself to possible ridicule, we've got to give him some credit for that. Worst case scenario, he'll come away from his experience here with at least a slightly different perspective than he had when he arrived, and will hopefully have some questions to ask of his religion.

That's what I picked up as well..  My father was a methodist minister for over 40 years.. AND one of the best people to ever walk the planet in my opinion of course.   He taught us to think for ourselves.  

I won't go through my history but suffice it to say that I went through the gamut of 'spiritual' experience...and that it was the sincere search for truth which has led me to my current position as not accepting of any of the god proposals.   It wasn't an easy decision but a long drawn out hard fought battle that has taken me to today.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service