I'm new to the site, at first I joined only to correct someone about Christian morality but I think I'll stay to see what some (not all) atheist think about everything. So yeah, I'm here to see the "culture" I guess and what are the trends in thought among at-least some atheist and when I decide I can, correct misunderstandings in Christian principle and I like the chat-room, so you might see me use it. Alright cool, thanks for reading and if you have any questions about the Christian faith, I'd be happy to answer em if I can.

Views: 1225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He mentioned having an essay to write, so he must be in upper High School or possibly college, but he admitted to having been raised Pentecostal, which is a very strict Christian sect in which members have been known to roll around on the floor of the church, speaking in "tongues," meaning to anyone else, incoherent babble, so one must imagine him emerging from such a severe brainwashing, into the real world - it takes time, and hopefully understanding, if one can find it, to acclimate. All I'm saying, is treat him with as much courtesy as he presents to us, and so far, he has been extremely courteous and respectful.

A young person only regurgitates the crap he's been fed. Fortunately for me, I read e. e. cummings, who wrote, "There is some shit I will not eat!"

@Hank - Exactly - That is, what they think, the eating of "Bush Meat" is the reason for aids, and still practiced today.  It is some demented, probably xian, who started this, having sex with a monkey tripe. 

@onyano - Ha, ha, Malaria was introduced by a man having sex with a mosquito - if they could have actually got away with that statement, they would have spread that far and wide, so to speak :)

As with most xians, pre-occupied with who is doing what to whom, and once again, fitting the truth into codswallop.

I also have another question. How do you decide which bits of the Bible to follow and which bits to ignore?

related to the same question, Israel will you be kind as to tell me when to take a verse literally or metaphorically and which verses do these interpretations apply?

I wouldn't know about all the verses and from what I've read there are verse that have some literal and some metaphorical so keep that in mind too. But parts/whole of verses are obviously literal from what I've read parts/whole verses are obviously metaphorical. Jesus Christ is obviously literal and a part of a verse I can recall of my head... says something along the lines of "God is like a rock" is obviously metaphorical, saying something about God's character... here's the verse that's clearly part metaphor.

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, His work is perfect; For all His ways are justice, A God of truth and without injustice; Righteous and upright is He.

You don't ignore any of it.

But considering context some things aren't done anymore. I'll give you an example.

In the old testament, we'd have to sacrifice in order to be forgiven of your sins... and since we would sin more then once, you can expect more then one sacrifice. Moving forward a bit, you have Jesus Christ and he serves as one sacrifice, once and all. One sacrifice, forgiving you all your sins. See the difference? Hope that makes sense.

It certainly sounds like a lot of hard work, and very difficult to work out how to apply.  If it could be stripped back to its essence, then the (undeniably priceless) value of it could be seen. 

I am all ears when it comes to "correcting misunderstandings in Christian principle." What are some common misunderstandings that atheists are guilty of possessing? 

As to Christians referencing the Bible in their quest for moral excellence I can venture to say that most self proclaimed Christians don't even bother to crack that book open. Most atheists have more exposure to the 'good book' than the average Christian. The major difference being that atheists are able to see the plethora of inconsistencies and stone age reasoning that lies therein. What you would be quick to label as misunderstanding. But don't fret for the Koran is replete with the same problems.

I meant when I see the misunderstandings.

I don't think this was from an atheist but from a critic definitely. He seemed to imply that forgiveness was like God saying bad things are okay to do... which doesn't make sense.

Basically it's stuff like, I'd correct, just basic stuff I understand.

Yes, God's forgiveness is a valid concept I think.  If you truly repent, God will always give you a second chance to make good.  We all need the chance to earn back our good name sometimes. 

Hi, welcome!

Remember just as there are different types of Christians there are different kinds of atheists.
I have 3 questions for you... not directly to all Christians (as i know the answer would vary greatly). But here goes:

1. Do you believe God has the power to stop things like hurricanes, the death and sickness of people, etc?

2. Do you believe the world is less than 10,000 years old?

3. Do you believe that "All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense.-Leviticus 20:9"? And if not, how do you decide which pieces of the bible are gods will and which are not?

4. (bonus question) Don't answer this one. Just ask yourself. Do you really truly honestly believe 100% that God exists? Or do you sometimes think you might just be saying you do... to protect yourself from the POSSIBILITY of hell? Or maybe you say you believe in God because you think humanity NEEDS to believe in god in order to be good?

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes I really, truly honestly believe 100% that God exists.

RSS

Forum

Gun control laws - safer or more dangerous?

Started by Simon Mathews in Politics. Last reply by Belle Rose 11 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Should we change people?

Started by Austin Weekly in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 10 Replies

What do you think of Higher Power(s)? Please share.

Started by Chelsey Carlson in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 19 Replies

Here less than two hours

Started by Douglas Fo in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 3 hours ago. 16 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service