I'm new to the site, at first I joined only to correct someone about Christian morality but I think I'll stay to see what some (not all) atheist think about everything. So yeah, I'm here to see the "culture" I guess and what are the trends in thought among at-least some atheist and when I decide I can, correct misunderstandings in Christian principle and I like the chat-room, so you might see me use it. Alright cool, thanks for reading and if you have any questions about the Christian faith, I'd be happy to answer em if I can.

Views: 1124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Look up oxymoron in the dictionary.  Christian morality.

You must not have met the right Christians.  I can think of two I would ask advice from any day of the week. 

Israel, why did god prefer Israel to other nations?!

I'm guessing it's because they were more willing to kiss his ass.

But if you ask any genuinely true believer, in either Christianity, Judaism or Islam, they are likely to respond with, "Who am I to question the will of god?"

If their god has a plan already determined for them (it’s all part of god’s plan) then are theists not asking their god to change his will each time they pray? Therefore they are constantly questioning his will?

It must irk him some to be petitioned by millions of them day in day out with requests to change his plans. Such multitasking abilities would tend to suggest their god may be female!!   

You know that's the incongruity that first caught me as a child.  If this deity knows and plans everything, what's the point in prayer?  Praises, I can get my head around, but petitioning? 

(they say their god is asexual, they just assign a gender to avoid saying "it".  on the other hand, I am female....if god is here, and I am here.... does that make me god?)

Matthew 2:1 states that Herod was king of Israel sometime after Jesus was born (and presumably when he was born as well).  Herod died in 4 BCE.

Luke 2:2 states that the census that caused Joseph and Mary to go to Bethlehem happened while Quirinius was governor of Syria.  Quirinius became governor in 6 CE.

How do you reconcile these two accounts?  (Note that Jesus has to be born before 4BC and after 6AD for both to be true, and yet they both must be true if they are in the Bible.)

(By the way there is no record of such a census--that required one to go to his ancestral homeland--in ANY other records from that time.  Matthew doesn't mention it, and Luke does not mention the murder of the children or the trip to Egypt or the manger.)

There were two Herods, father and son.

True.

The father, Herod "the great" died 4BC, and it's generally assumed this is the Herod who was in power when Jesus was born in the Gospel of Matthew.  The son only lasted until 6AD.  Indeed, the son is named as well, as being the reason they avoided Bethlehem and Jerusalem when they came back from Egypt, and settled in Galilee, outside of Herod Archeleus' realm.  (By the way another inconsistency between Matthew and Luke is that Matthew strongly implies that Jospeh and Mary actually lived in Bethlehem in the first place, they didn't go there because of some made-up census.)

But let's say that's all wrong and it's the younger Herod who was on the throne for Matthew's nativity tale.  There is still a problem.  The slaughter of the firstborns took out everyone under the age of 2, which implies that Jesus was one or two years old sometime before the end of the reign of Herod Archeleus.

Wasn't the son known as Herod "the Mediocre"? Herod "the Not-Too-Shabby"? Something like that --

RE: "There is still a problem.  The slaughter of the firstborns took out everyone under the age of 2, which implies that Jesus was one or two years old sometime before the end of the reign of Herod Archeleus."

That's more of a problem than possibly you realize - it means that Yeshua (Jesus) would have stood out like a sucked thumb on a dirty baby, being the only kid in the land, his age.

Be very interested in your explanation of coal, natural gas, petroleum, and cleft lips.

Poor Israel never came back, did he? I hope he did well on his essay --

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service