I'm new to the site, at first I joined only to correct someone about Christian morality but I think I'll stay to see what some (not all) atheist think about everything. So yeah, I'm here to see the "culture" I guess and what are the trends in thought among at-least some atheist and when I decide I can, correct misunderstandings in Christian principle and I like the chat-room, so you might see me use it. Alright cool, thanks for reading and if you have any questions about the Christian faith, I'd be happy to answer em if I can.

Views: 1302

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There were two Herods, father and son.

True.

The father, Herod "the great" died 4BC, and it's generally assumed this is the Herod who was in power when Jesus was born in the Gospel of Matthew.  The son only lasted until 6AD.  Indeed, the son is named as well, as being the reason they avoided Bethlehem and Jerusalem when they came back from Egypt, and settled in Galilee, outside of Herod Archeleus' realm.  (By the way another inconsistency between Matthew and Luke is that Matthew strongly implies that Jospeh and Mary actually lived in Bethlehem in the first place, they didn't go there because of some made-up census.)

But let's say that's all wrong and it's the younger Herod who was on the throne for Matthew's nativity tale.  There is still a problem.  The slaughter of the firstborns took out everyone under the age of 2, which implies that Jesus was one or two years old sometime before the end of the reign of Herod Archeleus.

Wasn't the son known as Herod "the Mediocre"? Herod "the Not-Too-Shabby"? Something like that --

RE: "There is still a problem.  The slaughter of the firstborns took out everyone under the age of 2, which implies that Jesus was one or two years old sometime before the end of the reign of Herod Archeleus."

That's more of a problem than possibly you realize - it means that Yeshua (Jesus) would have stood out like a sucked thumb on a dirty baby, being the only kid in the land, his age.

Be very interested in your explanation of coal, natural gas, petroleum, and cleft lips.

I don't have an explanation for them. I haven't studied coal, natural gas, petroleum, or cleft lips.

Poor Israel never came back, did he? I hope he did well on his essay --

Thanks for the sympathy.

I think I got a C+ ... terrible >_>

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Dealing with the unexpected

Posted by Belle Rose on May 1, 2015 at 4:25pm 7 Comments

It's all Greek to me

Posted by Simon Mathews on April 15, 2015 at 4:14am 18 Comments

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com