I'm new to the site, at first I joined only to correct someone about Christian morality but I think I'll stay to see what some (not all) atheist think about everything. So yeah, I'm here to see the "culture" I guess and what are the trends in thought among at-least some atheist and when I decide I can, correct misunderstandings in Christian principle and I like the chat-room, so you might see me use it. Alright cool, thanks for reading and if you have any questions about the Christian faith, I'd be happy to answer em if I can.

Views: 1123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One of the finest men I ever knew was a Methodist minister as well - he drove a 15-mile round trip at 6:30 in the AM, to officiate at my first wedding, as I preferred to be married in a park, rather than a church. He literally built his own church, brick by brick, working six days a week, as his Bible told him to do, and upon it's completion, the god he followed so faithfully all of his life, rewarded him with a slow death by cancer.

Sounds like a nice guy.  He may have died of cancer, but he probably didn't regret his life, and IF there's an afterlife, he's happy now. 

Here to correct others misunderstandings but will not accept the correction of your own misunderstandings regarding evolution and geology.

The earth is less then 10,000 years old? This is beyond ignorance and does not reflect well on your credibility. There is literally no evidence to suggest the earth is that young. It is impossible. The very existence of such diversity on earth refutes that position. Hell, there is a colony of trees in Utah older than that.

I am sure any "correction" that you will make will be rationalizations and the extreme mental gymnastics so common amongst apologists. Just as I used to do while in seminary. Good luck to you.

But there's "believing a load of bullshit" and "behaving properly", and they are two separate things.  So far Israel has proved he knows how to behave properly.  Most people believe strange things, and it's not a moral failing. 

There are different kinds of truths, of which moral truth is only one. It seems to me that people are mostly questioning Israel's reasoning and understanding, not his character. The most important in any person is who he treats others. I've seen all kinds of theists do terrific and horrible things in the name of their deity, theism, or a lack thereof, is not a requirement for moral behavior.

Well, in my opinion Doc - and I realize you're not saying otherwise - Israel has behaved like a good guest here and should be treated as such.

My thoughts exactly. 

Yes, the two seem to be pretty independent.  What I meant was that how people treat others is the most important thing. 

On that we can agree. 

Wow, Michael, you've just admitted you've changed your indoctrinated stance on some religious issues, seeing them as no longer valid, and it hasn't escaped my attention that you've made some purely secular contributions to some of the discussions recently. I'm impressed.

Stay away from those mushrooms and quit blathering on about megafauna, and who knows, you could become a real, live boy --

I am afraid this isn't the Michael you are thinking of.

http://www.thinkatheist.com/profile/MichaelEck

vs

http://www.thinkatheist.com/profile/Michael456

I hope MichaelEck doesn't feel too insulted by this mistake!  Meanwhile... perhaps, Michael, you should change your name to something like RationalMike?

Good catch - I was foolishly optimistic there, I also thought he had woken up.  Oh well

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 3 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service