So I was curious how do you handle this topic when a friend brings this up? A acquaintance of mine said this to me and we got into a discussion about it. She kept hammering on how "SAD IT IS! SOPHIE! SERIOUSLY! HOW FUCKING SAD!"

I simply replied, "How sad that you have a imaginary friend that you really think cares about you. When millions of children are starving to death. Seriously, how fucking sad."

So got so flustered. She almost imploded in on herself. It was glorious.

What about you? How would you handle this topic?

Views: 2016

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Some people long for eternal life, who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday morning". I read that somewhere and it's brilliant.

She's only afraid of death because of religion. Death is a part of life. The only sure part of life, and it makes every second of this life worthwhile!
I love my life and I don't want to not exist, but I don't think that makeing crap up it going to solve anything. I think living life is beter then wishing it would end so you can have a better one latter. Make the best out of the life you have and not one you might get later.
"Although the time of death is approaching me, I am not afraid of dying and going to Hell or (what would be considerably worse) going to the popularized version of Heaven. I expect death to be nothingness and, for removing me from all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism."
-Asimov
This is a quote in The Atheists Bible, pg.174, that is why I enjoyed this book so much.
I was talking to a religious friend of mine saying that I hated going in to Harrods in London because of the large display of food, at expensive prices because of the starving children of the World, her reply was 'Oh the children must have been wicked in a previous life'.
No more to be said.
I don't want to be dressed up when I decompose and give the earth nutrients. What is the point? For your surviving family members I guess. Seems very materialistic actually. Like, the only thing you care about even the day you are buried is looking good.

This isn't really related to the actual conversation but I thought it was an interesting point. lol
I agree on all points. When Im gone, Im gone. I suppose it is left to the immediate family what happens to you, but I suppose I could not care less as I will not be there. It is just that whilst you are alive that you can say what will happen when you die, as I feel all that I have done will be wasted and if I have an atheist burial this may help atheists left to see someone proud to be an Atheist, and then perhaps it will be the end of religious burials.

I know if I ask for no funeral this will be disregarded. I would like to be buried in the ground next to my dog.

"If my dog is already dead" is something that you intended to include, I hope.  Live burials and ancient property rights have no place in modern civilization.

i laughed when read this. then realized even dead i'll have a ton of places to go. My organs that are usable will go into other people. My ashes will be mixed with glitter and spread. and lastly if freyman is to be belived energy on an atomic level that will keep going with out my body to slow it down.lol

Same way. Keep logic and rationalism at the forefront and see them squirm in their exposed woo. Of course it never quite works like that and opinions never get changed.

We have a place to go: our atoms return to the endless cycle from which we came, Or something like that lol. Carl Sagan or Neil deGrasse Tyson could put it a lot better than I. 

Here lies an atheist, a highly evolved freethinker that lead a finite life of infinite worth.

I'm happier alone. I'm sad if I get out of place in a bunch of kids talking about their favorite fairy tales. They're all going to Wonderland. I'm planting a tree.

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Simon Mathews 2 hours ago. 113 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Mathews 3 hours ago. 6 Replies

Great retorts

Started by Unseen in Quotes. Last reply by Wesley 9 hours ago. 13 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Physeter 13 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service