Hello again people of Think Atheist.

It's been a while since I last logged on, at least to contribute in any form. I'm back again with a problem, which I hope people here may be able to help me with.

I was at my cousins house the other day and, for the third consecutive visit, the conversation came to a mystic/fortune teller my family have all been going to and seem quite impressed with. On this visit one of my cousins were there who is big into anything supernatural (loves the stuff). They gave me their personal story's of their visits and some 'bewildered sceptic' story’s about other family members.

Anyway, the suggestion was that I should go, that my disbelief without experiencing this was 'very Christian'. I resisted for a time, pointing out that if i went and was impressed by what she knew or could figure out that was all well and good, but was not evidence of anything supernatural. In the end, as I didn't want to lose any friends among family, and because I had been subjected to a barrage of this non sense for at least an hour at this point I agreed to go so long as I could bring at least two other people, one of which would have a camera.

This where I hope TA can help, mostly with advice, but if anyone on TA lives close by, It would be great to have them come along on the day. I feel I need advice as I'm sure this lady is very good at what she does, I want to be able to cover 'tells' and be able to pick up on her leading questions etc better.

If anyone has any thoughts please do share, and if anyone is in or near Northern Ireland and would like to be involved please let me know.

Tags: Advice, Help, family, mystic, problem, supernatural

Views: 337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand why and how some people have been called psychics because as a kid I was accused of it even by my very rational and methodical dad, a MD.  Through him I've come to understand all it is is that my brain processes data way faster than I'm consciously aware of and comes to logical conclusions about what comes next... or even about what people will do next or react to situations.  The more data a brain has to work with the more accurate the predictions --- but you already knew that.  I just don't have to think about them.

Intuition, I guess.

The best way I can explain it is to say "there are always a limited number of possible variations on any single theme with a limited number of objects or people."  If you take 20 pennies and make a graph as you heads/tails them you'll see what I mean.  I can usually analyze the predictions retrospectively and understand what led to them.  The ones I can't explain would drive me nutso if I dwelled on them.

As a kid I was fascinated with all things related geology.  On drives with my parents I'd be looking out the side window at landscapes and predicting what was out of sight.  It's still a fun way to annoy companions on a long drive.

Doing it about people isn't too hard and is pretty accurate once I have gotten to know or observe them for a bit. I don't have to take time to analyze body language. This and my intuition about terrain really gave me an edge during two tours in Afghanistan.  It kept me in good with COs and everyone else.

I don't have any control over it.  Usually now they occur when I'm running, showering, driving or flyfishing and not even thinking about whatever I "see."  They just pop into my mind.  

As you say, it would seem that your intuition is pretty good.  ever think of a career in criminology? The way I see it, a good detective and a good 'mystic' use many of the same skills, the difference is one decided to help people, the other decided to con them.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 0 Comments

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service