So all the parents of our kindergarten class received an email from a parent asking if anyone would like to join tomorrow before school on school grounds (this is a public school) to pray (as it's National Prayer Day) for our school. Is this legal? Anyone have any idea??

Views: 203

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Gary,

I wasn't trying to stop them because I don't believe. My concern was more of a legal nature. Can they do such a thing?  Can a parent organize a prayer group on public school grounds? I still don't know the answer. But then I learned they blatantly ignored the instructions of the Principal and did it anyways.  Which makes this all the more infuriating.

yeah, I can see them ignoring rules as irritating. 

Follow the money.

If public funds of any kind end up advocating religion, the First Amendment throws up.

The arrogance of some people is just astounding.

When you consider how much money goes into public education, any allotment of (expensive) time is in fact injurious to (tax paying) atheists.

If it's put on by the parents, then it is legal. The state cannot force prayer, but they also cannot ban it. You can pray in school. You just can't be forced to pray by the school, or by any association working with the school. You have every right to not meet at the pole, as I'm assuming that's what that is.

RSS

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service