Hi all,

Just saying hello. I live down on the South Coast, near Brighton, for those who know it. Almost a life long atheist. Was raised a catholic but am proud to say I got booted out when I was a kid. Priest refused to give confession as I was a a bad catholic for doing nothing but argue with him. So stuff that and never looked back.

Work for a big US corporation doing tech R&D. Religion is not too present in the UK but its a big deal in the US part of the company. As I hold pretty robust views on atheism, have to be a bit careful, hence the pseudonym.

Have spent a lot of time studying buddhism, but would not regard myself as one. Avid reader and also mature student, doing a degree in psychology. Have particular intest in evolutionary psychology.

Seasidechap

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Buddhism + evolutionary psychology = destined to find the meaning of life

Hello and welcome.  I'm in the States on the East coast.  I have heard that, as you say, religion is not a big deal in England.  I've  heard quotes that suggest less than 50% are practicing any kind of religion and more than 40% would say they don't believe at all.  If that is the case, I am somewhat envious that you may be able to express you personal convictions with greater freedom and in a less threatening environment.  Not that I have ever had any problems but I suspect I would if I lived in the Midwest or the South.  I guess my question to you is,  do you see any regional differences in numbers of believers or non-believers in Great Britain as we have here?  Also, do we provide you folks with comic entertainment or do you just shake you heads in disbelief.  (no pun intended)

From a Christian perspective, I think it would be fair to say that there is no regional difference. Maybe in London, you may find active evangelicals. Not the same for Islam. From my experience, Islam does tend to cluster in the major cities, with a concentration in the Midlands (where I grew up). I can definitely think of some cities where Islamic activity is very prevalent.

As to any views to religion in the US? Think the normal British reserve kicks in. I know from experience that when we have had US employees come over who have openly and actively expressed their beliefs, there tends to be an element of embarrassment on the part of the Brits. Saying that, I've had an American get up and leave the lunch table when she asked why I didn't prey before the meal and I said I was an atheist.
Welcome from Nottingham, I know what you mean about having to be careful, I work for an organisation which has religion deep rooted although I'm more inclined to be openly atheist than I used to be.

Hi Welcome. yes its a big deal in the US but I'm surprised that its just the same in the UK .People having to hide their atheism because of what they do. i think in the UK we are dealing with a different type of prejudice.

I love Brighton its the most open-minded town in the UK. Its good to have you aboard. we are a bit of a minority here so more the the merrier. I'm on twitter @blindbobblues.some people find that safer to discuss their beliefs and i can put you in touch with other UK atheists who are trying to deal with issues this side of the Atlantic

regards

Bob

I guess I must be lucky, the company I currently work for is Scandinavian, so have never heard anything religious at all to do with work.  In fact during my whole life I have never really had anyone mention religion and work.  My wife is a lapsed Catholic, who still may defend the church, but I know she doesn't really care and only goes to church if someone is either getting married, christened or it's a funeral.  I think that goes for a lot of people, they go because they have to, not because they want to.  I myself have never really been interested in religion and find the whole god and church thing to be a bit of a joke.  The church is the most crooked organisation in the world.  As for what I think about the USA and what goes on over there, I just can't believe that so many people are suckered in by it, but then again, when you look at history, a lot of the people who founded the country where pretty much religious zealots.  That's one reason they left the UK, they where getting too much grief off the normal people here who thought they where religious nut jobs.  Now it seems like politicians and people in the USA just seem to use the bible as an excuse to pick on people they don't like.  Look at Mexico, massive religious following yet doesn't seem to be as crazy about it as the USA.

cheers

Stu 

yeah this mainly concerns teachers,social workers and people involved in child care.fostering and adoption etc people are scared .Gove wants to abolish evolution being taught in schools

Hi and welcome. I am in London and the only religious people around me tend to be Muslim. I am a perpectual student and find no-one has a problem with my atheism. I also work in various health and social care settings with the elderly and no-one seems to have any issues with my disbelief. I have an ongoing debate with a 90 year old Christian man which we both enjoy! I have been lucky probably and really feel for the Americans. :( Shame you have to be careful too. I look forward to seeing you around. :)

Hello and welcome to ThinkAtheist Seasidechap!

Hello from Australia - Travel around this site, and it is heartbreaking - what young-uns have to go through 'coming out' in a bible belt or evangelical country. It is enough to make one cry. And they do exactly what you are doing - using a pseudonym.

People like us are so frigging lucky to live in a country where xianity is not rampant. Both countries have their loony tunes - your Anne Widcombe - ex-politician, our Fred Nile, poiitician, who is trying very hard to get Creation Theory into Secular schools, and others. 

Pom Atheists seem to be a tad more relaxed in their private lives. The irreplaceable Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, gorgeous Scientist Brian Cox, and the lovely Stephen Fry, to name a few.

Then Australia has, among many others, Tim Minchin, an absolute loony but very clever Aussie, who even has the guts to go to Texas.

Then there is the monarchy - It's about 50-50 in Australia, mainly because most people just don't care. I personally wouldn't cross the street to any of them. :) That is the point in both of these countries - it really is Free  Speech.

But to be an Atheist in the work place, just wouldn't come up, and if it did, no big deal. In Australia, I think if somebody asked why they didn't pray before a meal, everybody else would either roll around laughing or have a total look of disbelief ^_^

In both Britain and Australia our satire of xians is ruthless - Ricky Gervais, the tip of the iceberg :)

Islam is on the rise here - they are the really scary ones here.

In fact some people are a bit embarrassed to say they are xtians here in the UK, they certainly don't broadcast it.  The vast majority of people in UK who claim to be xtian are what we call hatches, matches and despatches i.e. christenings, weddings and funerals and that's the extent of their xtianity.  Praying before a meal?  What the hell is that all about?

Hello from Australia - Travel around this site, and it is heartbreaking - what young-uns have to go through 'coming out' in a bible belt or evangelical country. It is enough to make one cry. And they do exactly what you are doing - using a pseudonym.

People like us are so frigging lucky to live in a country where xianity is not rampant. Both countries have their loony tunes - your Anne Widcombe - ex-politician,  our Fred Nile, poiitician, who is trying very hard to get Creation Theory into Secular schools, and others. 

English Atheists seem to be a tad more relaxed in their private lives. The irreplaceable Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, gorgeous Scientist Brian Cox, and the lovely Stephen Fry, to name a few.

Then Australia has, among many others, Tim Minchin, an absolute loony but very clever Aussie, who even has the guts to go to Texas.

Then there is the monarchy - It's about 50-50 in Australia, mainly because most people just don't care. I personally wouldn't cross the street to any of them. :) That is the point in both of these countries - it really is Free  Speech

But to be an Atheist in the work place, just wouldn't come up, and if it did, no big deal. In Australia, I think if somebody asked why they didn't pray before a meal, everybody else would be either rolling around laughing or have a total look of disbelief ^_^

In both Britain and Australia our satire of xians is ruthless - Ricky Gervais, Eddy Izzard the tip of the iceberg :)

Islam is on the rise - they are the really scary ones here.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Simon Paynton 57 minutes ago. 8 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.