Hello folks, a little about myself, I was born and raised a baptist, for most of my childhood we lived right next door to our little humble chapel, just a couple of 100 meters up the road was a grand catholic church, that was mainly used by the wealthy in the area, had a huge statue of Jesus on the cross in the yard.

My school had a compulsory religious education class, though the boredom I felt meant I was not taking in the lessons.

But it would be many years before I removed the shackles of religion, I was in my 30s before becoming agnostic, at that point I started questioning things religious, it was not until my 40s did I become atheist, so you can imagine this was not a step I took lightly, I still feel the affects of religious indoctrination and I'm not sure that will ever go away, but one thing I can say for certain, I will never be a born again christian unless Yahweh himself appears and explains his horrific actions as told by the bible.

I am fortunate, I have a father who is a christian and still very much believes in a god, but he taught his children to think for themselves, I meet up with my father on the weekends for a pint, a christian and an atheist, we can discuss our beliefs and disbeliefs and enjoy each others company throughout.

Tags: atheist, christian, father, social, son, theist

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Tom.

I see you have passed by a sly path to reach the freedom of mind you can enjoy now. It`s not common to have religious relatives to who an atheist can talk without being labelled or preached. So, you have luck with your father.

You make me think something, What is the different do you observe between your period as an agnostic and your present as an atheist? 

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service