I just joined because I really need a support group.  I'm surrounded by Christianity.

I've been feeling really horrible lately because I can't stand the thought that so many of my friends and members of my family are delusional.  I've always internalized this, but I feel it bubbling to the surface.  It hurts me to know they feel so free to spread the nonsense, but knowing I can't be as free without being demonized, or at least pitied.  But, recently I've been feeling pity for them.  Not outwardly, but inside, and I feel it because I look at them clinging to religion, and waiting for Jesus to come back and it's just so pathetic.  I don't want to feel this way about basically everyone I know.  It's disturbing.  I don't even know how to begin dealing with this and these feelings.  I love my friends and family.  I hate religion.  I was brought up to love no one greater than God and Jesus, I literally felt guilty for years because I loved my grandmother more.  I'm over that now, I'm 40, I quit going to church when I was 17, but that's how pathetic I was when I was a kid.  I look back now and I'm so angry at people for teaching children from birth that this stuff is real.  It's a cult.  I have teen daughters and I've raised them the way I wished I was raised.  With love, compassion, honor, dignity, truthfulness, knowledge, and the total absence of religion. 

Not necessarily needing a place to vent (though, I will when something pisses me), not needing to push any agendas (though I may support them), I just really NEED a support system.  I can't keep this inside anymore, I can't. 

Views: 600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well hopefully you do too. :-) And hopefully find people around you who you get the chance to talk with and see they don't believe in invisible people in the sky as well. At my last job over time I discovered that my boss was atheist just chatting with him. We had some great discussions. I still talk to him from time to time even though I no longer work with him. And my ex-gf's mother as well. Even though the relationship with my ex-gf is over we (I and her mom) still keep in touch and talk regularly, odd as it may seem for some.

It gets better!

Yes, hope so too.  You've found these rare gems, and you didn't let them go.  That's pretty cool.  I haven't met anyone like that yet, but then again, I have a whole house of Atheists.  My kids also go to school with quite a few Atheists (10% or above).   

Dear Folks:

A few months ago, a friend from High School, got into a conversation with another woman on my facebook page, and said that I was going to hell. Maybe they finally looked at my FB page for some heavy reading..;p). I wrote back suggesting the 'holyer than everyone else' attitude was rather off putting then she unfriended ME! Its ok, the gal was only a passing aquaitance. See even their own shit can't meet the light of day!

I feel the same exact way! I cannot offer you advice right now because I'm going through such a similar experience, but I would love to be able to go through it with others who know exactly how I feel. Please feel free to add me... Even if we only rant about how awful it is/was.

Knowing how you feel today. My wife started again today with her "you don't know what you've done to me" routine. As if my deconversion was aimed at her personally. Then the whopper, "If you don't believe, fine, but just keep it to yourself". Say again? I live in a society were proclaiming god and jesus all day everyday and I'm supposed to shut up? "Yes," she said, "this is a Christian nation and all of you atheists and muslims and whatever should just be quite.

I'm still speechless. An American said this? Unbelievably, yes. 

Sadly, an American saying this sounds very common to me! It really, really angers me that they're allowed to proselytize their hearts out and force all of their beliefs to be a part of the government of a religiously-free, not Christian-specific country but the instant any non-believer speaks up, even if they're not saying anything offensive or unsound, it's persecution. Ugh!

I'm so sorry that you're going through that with your wife of all people. Luckily for me my fiance is also an agnostic and although we have different backgrounds we can relate well.

Anyway, I know your comment wasn't meant for me but I just wanted to know you're definitely not alone with that frustration.

RSS

Forum

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 47 minutes ago. 64 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 3 hours ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 8 hours ago. 12 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 11 hours ago. 7 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service