Hi. I'm Cristie. A married mother of 3. Kick boxer. Design student. Cynic. etc., etc. I stumbled across this site while on Twitter and thought I'd give it a shot. I'm terribly anxious when it comes to my atheist views. Living in good ole boy type gods country here, where one of the first questions asked is, "where do you go to church". Religion has never been a part of my life. I've attended several churches and read parts of the bible and other holy-type books out of curiosity, but usually would end up irritated. I dislike that the most affordable options for pre-school are all religious based. At the suggestion of friends, I've honestly tried to consider that option, assuming that they couldn't possibly impress too much on my son, but by the end of my thought process I'm angry and wondering "how dare they". 

I'm really tired so this is really sloppy and all over the place.

I think religious views are deeply personal and truly try to adhere to "to each, their own." I also think some people are stupid and weak and too lazy to think. That's my own.

Anyway, hi. Thanks for having me.

Views: 238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, my name is Frankie and welcome. I am also pretty new to this site, but I really like it so far. Everyone is nice and there are a lot of intelligent conversations floating around. As to your post I feel the same way. I am a firm believer in "live and let live" But at the same time we are constantly being bombarded by propaganda so sometimes its hard to stay quiet. My daughter is almost two, but I still worry about what her childhood is going to be like with all this stuff going around. But we just have to do our best. Oh and by the way I also have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do so props on the kick boxing. I did that for a while, that is a tough sport.

Hi Frankie. Thanks for the reply. You're right. Sometimes it is hard to stay quiet. My husbands family is catholic. My mom is... some sort of cultist Xtian. I hear it all the time. I had to bluntly tell my mom to stop telling me she was "praying for me" because it insulted me. I appreciate her caring, but I can't feel the way she does.

What level black belt are you? I was teaching muay thai up until March-ish, when a torn ligament in my hip but that adventure on hiatus for the foreseeable future. Still recovering from surgery, with months, at least, to go before complete recovery.

Nice to meet you.

See, though, as soon as I think about I'm mad about the thought. I feel so terribly strongly about it, I can not let my child be exposed on a regular basis even if I know he probably won't think twice about it.

My husband told me after we were married that our child-on-the-way would probably have to be baptized to please his folks. He thought I was kidding when I said divorce. I was not. It's just one of those things that I not just won't give on, but can't.

Good for you! I don't understand slavish "have to please the folks" stuff. I put it to the grandparents as, "You want access to your only grandchild, you'll play by my rules."

Thanks for the response. I know what you mean! It's a wonder my tongue is still attached as many times as I've had to bite it. It boggles the mind when seemingly really smart dudes think they'll go to heaven when they die.

Welcome to TA, Cristie!

I think your view is sound, that religious views should be deeply personal, but by its very nature it just isn't so. Religion is something that goes into the mind and works like a contagion. Skepticism is the cure, but for those that do not have this medicine available, it will continue to spread to others.

Anyways, thanks for being here!

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to TA. I live in the south and was asked the same question a few months ago (what church do you go to). It was a really old lady and I told her I didn't go to church because I was a backslider lol. I didn't want to tell her I was an atheist and stroke her out or anything lol.

Ha! Isn't it frustrating though? When we first moved in, all my various new neighbors sent their pastors or whatever over to our house to try to get us to their church. I was refusing literature and slamming my door. I need a doormat that says "There is no God here."

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Maybe a doormat with Atheist Inside written, with a similar design to the Intel inside logo.

Hey Christie, welcome to TA. If I were you I'd let people know that you are a kick boxer, and then after they have absorbed that, tell them you're an atheist if the question of religion or which church comes up :D

I think you are a good mother not to take the easy option. I am in the UK where hardly anyone is a practicing Christian but the schools still have christian worship every day and Christian orientated religious education. I have withdrawn my daughter from those until she stops believing in Father Christmas and the tooth fairy. She will then have no supernatural beliefs at all and may be more ready to think critically. I took my daughter to a toddler group at a church and after a few times they started having a bible story and prayer time. We sat quietly somewhere else and got glared at. I had to leave in the end because she won a prize at a game and it was a book about jesus with a picture of bloody hands with nail holes in them. It was a shame.  I think you are wise to keep your son away from this sort of thing. If he believes that there is a god (and the violent, oppressive Christian one) at a young age it may be very difficult for him to stop believing that - it can take root.

Anyway - Welcome! I am new too. Have you checked out the photos yet? So funny!

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 5 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service